Delivery in day(s): 5
Unit 2 Understanding Needs in Health and Social Care Assignment
Understanding of needs is essential for individual and management for developing the plan and strategy that helps to meet the objectives of users of services as well the organization. There are majorly three types of needs has been identified that has significant impact on the process of achievement which includes needs of achievement, affiliation and power for accomplishing the tasks. The unit 2 understanding of needs in health and social care assignment will have concern over the specific needs in health and social care settings considering the concept of health, disability, illness and behaviour. In this task, report will analyze the impact of Community Care Act, social policy and culture with reference to specific legislations. In the next tasks report will analyze the needs of care as well combination of different system to support the specific needs of services users. Moreover, report will explain the partnership working, evaluate the effectiveness of intervention strategy for child learning disability and potential impact of recent changes in the legislations as well the social policy to meet the specific needs of individual. At the end, report will explain the behaviour of individual in different conditions and describe the impact of legal framework on the social care organization and analyze the strategies for managing organisational behaviour at workplace to considering the advantage and disadvantages.
a) Analysis of concepts for users of health care services
There are majorly four types of concepts has been used for managing the services according to users of health care services. According to given scenario, concept of health, disability, illness and behaviour has been used for different users of social care services:
1. 22 year old man who has been deaf since birth: For the given scenario, the concept of health and social care services will be used for disability and behavioural issues for the individual as the physical disability may hinder the person to have a normal life as take active participation in group discussion, talk with the friends and family members about the personal needs (Andersen and Westgaard, 2013). The health care worker will have concern over the needs of that man and offer the support for learning the sign language or have the written communication to overcome the impact of disability. Apart from that, these kinds of disability encourage the behavioural issues for individual as lack of confidence and depression. In order to overcome the issues and improve the behaviour of individual the care worker will identify the specific needs of individual as well understand the key elements that helps to develop the positive behaviour and encourage them for involve in the activities of people around them. This kind of approach of care worker with the use of concepts will help to improve the services of organization and influence the decisions of other services users and improve the quality of services.
2. 56 year old women found arthritis in both knees: The concept of social care services has been used for developing the strategy to meet the needs of the users of services. According to given scenario, the 56 year old woman has interested in the rock climbing and had found the she has arthritis in both knees that has affected the approach of her. Here the concept of health would be used for offering the services and providing the essential support for individual (Barr and Dowding, 2015). By providing the physical and mental support for encouraging the health the care worker will overcome the issues that woman is facing due to arthritis in both knees. In order to offer the support and care services to lady, the care worker will try to make her mind for encouraging the strength and willpower for meeting the personal objectives. The another concept that would be used by the care worker for encouraging the health of woman are consideration of behavioural issues that by offering the services according to needs of the lady which will support to develop the positive frame of mind.
b) Analysis of specific needs of different groups of people
Group 1: People with dementia
In order to deal with the people who are suffering from the dementia that has the specific needs and requirements that has significant impact on the needs of individual and groups. According to observation and evaluation it is been identified that needs of the people who are suffering from dementia have changed overtime. Dementia is one of the common issues that affecting the elderly people emotionally, socially and psychologically which has significant impact on the behaviour, lifestyle and needs of the groups of people as well influence the perception. From the analysis of group of people it is been identified that dementia lead the elderly people to the loss of self-esteem, confidence, independency and complete the hobbies to meet the objectives. This kind of changes also influence the needs of the people as care worker have to analyze and understand the needs of group of people and need to provide the support emotionally and physically to meet the requirements. In order to meet the specific needs, care worker has to make strong communication with verbal and non-verbal communication that will consider the tone, language and try to make the eye contact for better understanding (Drummond.et.al. 2015). Moreover the perception of specific needs of the group of elderly people will change as the independency of individual has been lost which majorly distressing and hard to accept. For better understanding and encouraging the perception of individual in which the care worker will break down the tasks into smaller activities as well take account of particular difficulties that might affecting the decision making of elderly people.
2. People with physical disability
Physical disabilities are the common in the elderly people and youngsters who met with the accident. The physical disability influence the behaviour of individual as well affect the needs of individual respectively. In order to offer the care support and treat the people who has physical disability may create the berries in the understanding of social aspect. Now to deal with such people, care worker could use different communication strategy according to perception and culture of individual which will help to maintain the interaction as well help to encourage the emotional support. According to Ontario Human Rights Code a person with physical disability has the equal treatment in employment, housing, services and membership in trades that would be considered for managing the services accordingly. It is the responsibility of care workers for managing the services standard and quality according to needs of the people (Bowling, 2014). In addition to this, patient optimism and willingness to find a way to communicate the process of treatment and make changes in the behaviour will be helpful for meeting the perception of individual.
c) Impact of acts on the services and legislations that need to be considered
There are a number of government legislations that seek to promote the rights of people with disabilities in the UK. The small and big both organizations are following the acts and legislations has been proposed by the government and leading authorities for managing the operational and functional activities of the care workers and protect the rights of services users.Some of these include the Equality Act 2006, Disability Discrimination Act, Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001. It has therefore become illegal to discriminate against anybody based on their disability; educational institutions have been urged to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that every disabled child has a substantial advantage in accessing educational services as stated in section 28A of the Disability Discrimination act 1995 that followed for implementing the Community act. This proposal is supported by the Special educational needs code of practice which puts the needs of children at the all its care planning process (delman.et.al. 2013). Another important function of this code is that it acts as a preventative tool for ensuring that any special needs of children are identified quickly and addressed before it deteriorates. There are many procedures to follow when dealing with disability issues in educational institutions. In addition to this, Care Act 2014 has provided the most significant changes in the social care practices as it is the responsibility of local authority to ensure the wellbeing of patients. This act has been introduced to have more control over the lifestyle of individual as well helping to stay independent. This kind of approach and activities of leading health care authority has the positive impact on the organizational process of small care home (Aveyard, 2014). The legislations like child care, health and safety of individual and groups who comes for getting the treatment has significant impact on the quality of services and behaviour of individual. Some of these include having a fair assessment before a statement of special educational needs can be made. In the health and social care sector, special measures have recently been implemented solely to help develop services that aim to provide equal opportunities for children with special needs.
a) Analyse the care needs of individuals with specific needs
The NHS in UK is providing various health care services to its people from last so many years. Its main aim is to provide medical and healthcare services to the people despite of their age and financial position. One of the greatest virtues of NHS is that it provides free services to the residents of UK. It provides effective care and quality service to them. To maintain an individual’s health it is important to first look after his care needs such as physical care, mental care or any disability that can be cured with medicines. As a care worker, it is important to fulfil their care needs either physically, mentally or emotionally. Then it is also important to identify their felt needs, which means the individual is socially being accepted by the other people or not. Also it is required to provide an individual with proper food and medicines on time. As a care taker, it is most important to look after their health and security (Barr and Dowding, 2015). NHS provides services free of cost which gives financial security to an individual. After providing all health care facilities the individual feels love and belongingness. He feels accepted and valued which also helps in curing individual disease rapidly. After the fulfilment of physical, mental and emotional need there will be an improvement in the satisfaction level of an individual.There is a need to look after their physical, mental and emotional needs because after knowing these needs the individual can be provided with best treatment to recover also the best strategy can be developed to provide an individual with treatment. If all his needs will be fulfilled he will feel satisfied and loved. And also the high level of satisfaction in an individual will improve his recovery. So therefore it is important to evaluate all the needs of an individual and to provide him with all the basic facilities to improve an individual’s heath care.
b) Combination of systems to support the specific needs
1. A 32 years old whose only means of locomotion is a wheelchair
In order to treat the offer the treatment to 32 years old that can only have the locomotion through the wheelchair has specific needs. For understanding and offering the services according to needs of individual the voluntary system can be used by the care workers at small health care setting. According to given scenario the person is having physical disability that has hindering the opportunity for involve in the activities with friends and family members. Now to overcome the issues and meet the specific needs of the person the care worker will follow the system for safeguarding the physical activities and provide the emotional support for developing manager (Payne, 2014). Voluntary system is process of offering the support by analysing the needs of person. This kind of approach and process that has been followed by the staff members of small care centre will improve the effectiveness of services and help to meet the needs of 32 years old that can only have the locomotion through the wheelchair. This system has some major benefits for 32 year old person as the care worker performs the tasks accordingly. It will simplify the needs, helps to remove the restriction and support to gain the understanding about the challenges that the specific person is having due to physical disability.
2. 86 years old woman with arthritis who is the sole care for husband who has dementia
For the given scenario, an old lady who is suffering from the arthritis and also taking care of her husband in who has dementia is essential to have the knowledge about the needs as well the process to meet the objectives. At this stage of life, it is difficult for 86 old women to make efforts to move with arthritis and offer the all needed care to her husband. Now to support the specific care needs the woman could use the self-help and formal and informal care system in which she will make strong communication with verbal and non-verbal methods that will consider the language and try to make the eye contact for better understanding (Tones.et.al. 2013). Moreover the perception of specific needs of the woman will change as the independency of individual has been lost which majorly distressing and hard to accept.
c) Evaluation of the services available in the town
For the people with early stage dementia, following are the services provided to them in the town:
- Clinics and Doctors: To know about an individual’s disease and to recover, well equipped clinics and highly skilled doctors are available in the town. Clinics and doctors’ play an important role in curing patients, and provide the patient with best treatment. The patients who are diagnosed at the early stage of dementia can easily avail the service provided by highly skilled doctors and well equipped clinics in the town. Also these clinics are located in the central area of the town so it can be easily visited by the patients and also the cost for treatment is affordable (Yoder-Wise, 2014). Therefore, it becomes easy for the patient to visit clinics in the town and can be provided with best treatment.
- Support and counselling: When dementia diagnosed at early stage, creates a feeling of anger and anxiety. Therefore, an experienced counsellor must be available in the town for counselling of the patient. By supporting the patient emotionally and mentally the counsellor can help the patient in many ways. Also the counsellor does not charge much for counselling, so it becomes easy for the patient to take proper counselling to overcome dementia.
People who are new in this country and do not know English, following are the services provided to them through which they can communicate:
3. Multilingual Person: An individual with good communication skills and also who knows different languages can be provided to, so that they do not have any problem in communication (Frieden, 2010). The person will provide them with required information and also will help them to know about everything. The multilingual person can be easily available anywhere in the town and will charge high to provide the services.
Also through sign language people who do not have understanding of English and communication, but it is important for the other person also to know about the sign language otherwise it will create a huge communication barrier.
4. Guide and map: People who do not know English can be provided with guide and map which is easily available in the town and also it does not cost much. With the help of guide and map they can easily search for the place they want to visit and can also understand about any service they required.
a) Approaches and interventions available to support individuals with specific needs
Learning disability is a type of disability in which a person faces a difficulty in learning the things in a typical manner. There are various known and unknown factors which causes such disorder in an individual. The unknown factor which causes disorder affects the ability of brain to receive and process the information effectively and speedily. This disorder makes problematic for an individual to learn quickly as compared to other normal individuals. People with learning disabilities are entitled and can benefit from the full range of interventions available to people with mental health problems (Street.et.al. 2013). There are many different approaches and interventions are available which supports individual with learning disability. Following are some approaches or interventions that support individual with learning disability:
- Partnership working: People with learning disability find difficulty in accessing services. These people can be supported by using the partnership approach or intervention. Partnership working involves the entire local care worker and experts working together to support the individual to cope up with the disorder relates to learning disability. They help the individual to access the services easily. Partnership includes experts such as business psychology, paediatricians, neurologist, etc with the heath care takers. The professional experts suggest the techniques and ways from which the growth of the brain can be achieved (Thompson and Kumar, 2011). They try to bring the learning disability people to learn the things in an easier way and quickly with the help of technologies. Their support helps to improve the learning of individual with learning disability.
- Guardianship: Guardians are the one who are responsible for the care and management of person or minor. The guardianship is the position and responsibilities of a guardian towards the incompetent individual. Guardianship can be bestowed upon an individual who is a friend or family to the patient. The people suffering from learning disability can be supported and encouraged through guardianship (Ishikawa and Yano, 2008). The friends and family of an individual can help them to overcome from the disorder through their love, care and worship. Their emotional support to the patient will make them strong to fight against the disorder and to bring proper growth of the brain.
- Empowerment/lifestyle choices: Empowering the individual with information on how to deal with people with specific needs will greatly improve their health. Empowerment includes ensuring that all opportunities available that could beneficial the individual to improve their life are made available to them. The individual suffering from learning disability can be supported by allowing empowerment with little restriction for achieving their normal life. Empowerment or lifestyle choices encourage them towards positive attitude and help to cope up easily with the disorder.
b) Evaluation of effectiveness of intervention strategies for an individual with specific need
There are many intervention strategies that help in promoting health. For example, there is the Community Engagement strategy in order to improve the community’s health status. The major aim of consulting and engaging is to solve the issues related to healthcare. As an care worker in a residential care home, the intervention strategies used for a child with learning disability are effective with respect to improve their mental ability. The partnership working intervention help a child with learning disability to understand the things with the help of expert professionals like psychologist, paediatricians or neurologist and local care worker with technologies like computer which enable them to understand the things more correctly and effectively (Ismail Al-Alawi.et.al. 2012). This approach is beneficial to child in learning things and proper enhancement of the growth of brain.
- Advantages of Partnership Working
- Involvement of Health and Social care learning disability team including social workers, learning disability nurses and support workers as well as experts like psychiatrist, psychologist, physiotherapist and speech and language therapist.
- Able to communicate face to face with each other in supporting the individual with learning disability with more care and concentration (Nicholson.et.al. 2012).
- Presence of all right people in the right place to support and help people living with learning disability to live as independently as possible and maintain their health and wellbeing.
- Disadvantages of Partnership Working
- Collision of methods suggested by the experts.
- Excessive amount of treatments to the disorder child by different experts.
- Chance of opposite reaction due to number of suggestions and treatment.
- The guardianship intervention also an effective intervention strategy which help a child to cope up with the disorder with proper care, love and worship.
- Advantages of Guardianship
- Improved physical health
- Feeling secure and safe from any harm
- Creating loving environment which help a child to overcome from the disorder
- Disadvantages of Guardianship
- May cause hurdle in the treatments
- Child may abuse to take proper treatment in the presence of guardian
Empowerment/lifestyle choices interventions acts as helpful in treatment of learning disable people. The advantages of the empowerment interventions are as follows:
- Building social networks
- Developing assertiveness and communication skills
- Having one’s various needs recognised and met
- Developing coping skill
c) Potential impact of emerging developments on support for individuals with specific needs
Government has laid down some strategies and systems with an aim of promoting health among its people. Some of the emerging developments spin around the medical and technological advances as well as changes in the legislations and policies within and outside the country. Some of the policies bring a dilemma in dealing with some cases on supporting individual with specific needs. On the other hand, legal developments have great impact on the support of individual with specific needs. Like for example, the new Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards introduced in 2009 help in preventing and safeguarding the vulnerable people including those who suffered from metal conditions (Perron.et.al. 2010). These developments in legislations and social policies help the vulnerable people like people with learning disability, elderly people with dementia, people with physical disability, etc avoid suffering that they may go through and if anyone violates the law will be treated and charged a criminal case. The current health care environment is with a countless laws, policies and regulations imposed by the various government authorities, institutions and private sectors are challenging both the nurses and the patients with disability. This laws, policies and regulations no doubt, has helped a lot people suffering from various kind of disabilities but it also results in causing various hurdles in proper treatment of these disabled people (Roter and Hall, 2016. ). There are various legislations which state various rules and regulations which hinder the treatment and healing procedures adopted by the Health care institutions. Not only this, if these rules and regulations are not followed properly then it may results in criminal cases.
a) Challenging behaviour for different group of people
As a caretaker, there are many to challenges to face to fulfil the needs of people suffering from various disabilities:
- People with learning disability: Person who is affected with learning disability takes the time to understand new things and complex situations. Therefore, it is important to look after that person softly and gently. It becomes very challenging to handle the behaviour of the people with learning disability (Lewis, 2015). For example, if a person is suffering from moderate learning disability, can generate lot of aggression or can perform destructive behaviour such as self injury. As a caretaker, it is very challenging to look after their behaviour.
- People with physical disability: People suffering from physical disability are not able to perform some of their physical task from their own which becomes a huge challenge for caretaker. For example, if the person is suffering from deaf disability no other person can touch an individual without an individual’s permission. Otherwise it can become the case of an emergency. Also if the person does not know sign language or does not know how to read and write it becomes difficult to make them understand about any information.
- People with mental ill health: People suffering from mental ill health mainly have depression and anxiety disorder. It is very challenging to look after them as their behaviour is always not normal. Sometimes they are angry, other times in anxiety or frustrated. They become angry if any caretaker wants to provide them with proper medicine or treatment (Lloyd-Jones.et.al. 2010). It becomes very difficult to look after their needs as their behaviour is quite different all the time. And if they are much depressed, they can harm anybody or even themselves so it is very challenging to maintain good relationship with them and to treat them.
b) Impact of framework & standards on health and social care organization
The practice of professional standards is having a huge impact on health and social care organisation. Professional standards are set to avoid unethical and unfair practices in any health care or social organisation. Professional standards are set so that every person in the organisation is honest towards its work and performs the work with full dignity and integrity. For example, the professional standards are set to meet the expectations of the service user, if the service is not provided the facility according the set standard the individual can take any desired action against both health and social care organisation. The standards that health and social care need to be followed are as follows:
- They are required to include involvement of staff in healthcare and quality efforts provided by the team.
- Supports the required information about access to medicines by appropriate health providers and researchers with appropriate consumer protection.
- Motivate staff members and with their help provides quality service to the service users.
There must be proper policies and procedures which are required to be followed in the health care and social care are:
Various policies and procedures can serve as resource for staff especially for new workforce. Also it helps to provides quality of service to service users so that they feel satisfied (Mhurchu.et.al. 2010). Policies and procedures put a great impact on health and social care, for example, any kind of policy can be there which is not consistent with the standard of care. Then the service user can put allegations on the health and social care.
c) Strategies to work with challenging behaviour in health care
There are several strategies which can be followed to work with challenging behaviour in health care organization. However, the limitations are also associated with them.
- Sanctions: These are the set of rules defines the working manner in a healthcare so that laws and regulation are not violated. Sanctions are useful to regulate the working in a smooth manner so that behaviour of patients and doctors can be controlled in an organization. Staff of healthcare organization needs to follows the sanctions in order to work according to federal laws. In this manner, they are bounded to follow the standard approaches of behaviour with patients (Nutbeam.et.al. 2010). However, sometime sanctions become the barrier for healthcares due to their unfitted laws and theoretical practices in healthcares.
- Medication: This is the treatment and medicines based on drugs to recover the patient from the disease and illness. The appropriate amount of medication can be used within the sanctions for treatment purpose. A faster recovery can be achieved with the combination of medications but it has side effects on health if used in large amount. Drugs can be used as a treatment of several diseases but needs the approval from government and patient. Also a proper management is necessary to stop the misuse within the organization.
- Setting clear boundaries and target: Sometime it may be beneficiary to set the goals and work to meet them. Clear boundaries to achieve help to set the practices towards the goal and make the staff more responsible for work. This is required to sustain in market as well as to create satisfactions in patients. However, there are chances that sticking on fix boundaries may stop the staff’s talent to be dynamic and versatile with changing environment in industry (Rongen.et.al. 2013).
- Time out: Time out is strategy to avoid violence in practices as doctors make the decision without considering the rewards and benefits to treat a patient. Time out is helpful in surgical operation to make better decisions and approaches. Time out also helpful to set focus on work. However, in several cases, time out is not available to take because of critical nature of case. Thus, staffs needs to follow the standards practices when there is no time for timeout.
From the above study it is been considered that understanding of specific needs in health and social care is crucial for care workers to provide the services according to required standard of services users. Report has provided the analysis of concepts of health, disability, illness and behaviour as well the impact of acts that has been applied for managing the services according to standard. Moreover, report has analysed the use of systems for supporting the specific needs and availability of services in town. In the next task report has explained the approaches and intervention of partnership and empowerment as well the impact of recent changes in the legislations and social policy on the specific needs of individual. At the end, report has provided the information about the legal framework and use of professional standard in challenging behaviour.
Books and journals
Andersen, G.R. and Westgaard, R.H., 2013. Understanding significant processes during work environment interventions to alleviate time pressure and associated sick leave of home care workers–a case study. BMC health services research, 13(1), p.1.
Aveyard, H., 2014. Doing a literature review in health and social care: A practical guide. McGraw-Hill Education (UK).
Barr, J. and Dowding, L., 2015. Leadership in health care. Sage.
Bowling, A., 2014. Research methods in health: investigating health and health services. McGraw-Hill Education (UK).
delman, C.L., Mandle, C.L. and Kudzma, E.C., 2013. Health promotion throughout the life span. Elsevier Health Sciences.
Drummond, M.F., Sculpher, M.J., Claxton, K., Stoddart, G.L. and Torrance, G.W., 2015. Methods for the economic evaluation of health care programmes. Oxford university press.
Frieden, T.R., 2010. A framework for public health action: the health impact pyramid. American journal of public health, 100(4), pp.590-595.
Ishikawa, H. and Yano, E., 2008. Patient health literacy and participation in the health?care process. Health Expectations, 11(2), pp.113-122.
Ismail Al-Alawi, A., Yousif Al-Marzooqi, N. and Fraidoon Mohammed, Y., 2012. Organizational culture and knowledge sharing: critical success factors.Journal of knowledge management, 11(2), pp.22-42.
Lewis, S., 2015. Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches. Health promotion practice, p.1524839915580941.
Lloyd-Jones, D.M., Hong, Y., Labarthe, D., Mozaffarian, D., Appel, L.J., Van Horn, L., Greenlund, K., Daniels, S., Nichol, G., Tomaselli, G.F. and Arnett, D.K., 2010. Defining and setting national goals for cardiovascular health promotion and disease reduction the American Heart Association’s Strategic Impact Goal through 2020 and beyond. Circulation, 121(4), pp.586-613.
Mhurchu, C.N., Aston, L.M. and Jebb, S.A., 2010. Effects of worksite health promotion interventions on employee diets: a systematic review. BMC public health, 10(1), p.1.
Nicholson, C., Jackson, C.L., Marley, J.E. and Wells, R., 2012. The experiment: how primary health care organizations supported the evolution of a primary health care system. The Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, 25(Suppl 1), pp.S18-S26.
The Unit 2 Understanding of Needs in Health and Social Care Assignment will have concern over the specific needs in health and social care settings considering the concept of health, disability, illness and behaviour, We are posting free units solutions so scholars can explore the our assignment help in uk and get review the quality of our work.