Delivery in day(s): 5
Unit 23 Employability Skills Copy Assignment
Diploma in Business
Unit Number and Title
Unit 23 Employability Skills
Employability skills are the ability of individual to survive in the defined area. The individual has various responsibilities to manage the personal and institutional needs and manage the self learning for the development. The study depicts the personal responsibility and able to develop in the institution. The unit 23 employability skills copy assignment will provide the recommendations for the objectives by the students for development of employability skills. As a student, I will manage the good relation with the teachers that will help me for self development. The report depicts the motivational theories for the self development and describes their effectiveness after implementation. The further study explains that how to develop the personal and interpersonal skills in the organization and it will explain that how do formal communication with the colleagues to invite them for the dinner or lunch. The report throws light on the time management strategies and describes the theories for the group development. The study implicates the solutions for the problems faced by the group members as leader what are the solutions to eradicate the problem. The report design the fish bone diagram to solve the problem and provide the recommendations for the strategy in order to solve the problem in the defined case.
1.1 Set of own responsibilities and objectives
Being a student, I have lots of responsibilities in order to achieve my own set objective. The duties assist me to attain the opportunities and improve my skills in effective way. The responsibilities are to score good marks in the exams and develop the skills with optimum utilization of human resources. I have the responsibility to follow the rules and regulations of my institute in order to maintain the decorum of the college. My foremost duty is to follow the instruction of the guide. Following are the own responsibilities in order to achieve the objective:
- Personal responsibility: As a student I have many responsibilities in order to develop the self skills. I have to follow the rules and regulation of the institution and follow the instructions of my teachers (Imrie.et.al.2014). Follow the guidelines of the faculty member and learn the skills for self motivation. Through learning I have to develop the skills for the better future and increase the working efficiency in order to achieve the prescribed task. My main role towards the institution is to achieve the task on time in order to meet the expectation of the teachers. In case of breakage of rule then my duty is to apologize for the mischief.
- Ability to learn and develop: My foremost duty in the institution is to expand the level of knowledge with optimum utilization of the resources. My personal duty in context of set objective is to learn the theories and techniques in order to achieve the desired objectives. I have the liability to assess the skills to develop the knowledge and score the good marks.
- Maintain the direct and indirect relationship: In institution I have the responsibility to maintain effective relation with the teachers and subordinates (Bachmann.et.al.2013). I need to learn the skills to maintain the relations with the subordinates with proper communication skills and helping attitude towards them.
SMART objectives to be achieved in defined tenure:
- To improve the communication skill in next 3 months.
- To explore my learning related to course till the end of this semester.
- To develop the self initiative approach to improve my skills till 2016.
- To improve the decision making power the end of semester 2016.
- To develop the leadership skills in next two months.
1.2 Motivational techniques to improve the quality of work
Motivational techniques assists individual to improve the services in order to achieve the objective on time. Motivational theories facilitate the individual to take the initiative in classroom activities and provide the opportunity to build the positive image in front of the subordinates. Motivational approaches develop the communication skills of the individual and allot the self initiative skill in the student. A student can feel motivated with the monetary and non monetary approaches. Monetary approaches includes rebate in fees, scholarships etc where as non monetary approach includes performance appraisal in class, prize etc. Following are the motivational techniques I have learned in class:
- Behavioural theory: The theory explains that behaviour of the individual employee is the way of self learning if person behave well he will be able to maintain the good relation with the subordinates (Goetsch and Davis, 2014). The theory states that why individual sometimes react favourable and sometimes unfavourable. The theory defines the behaviour of the individual towards the other. This theory facilitates me to judge the behaviour of the individual. The theory suggests me to identify the positive and negative behaviour of the individual in the best way. The theory suggests that to eradicate the negative effects individual should use the extrinsic forms of reward to get the desired response.
- Cognitive theory: he theory focuses to learn new things and explore the knowledge from different sources. The theory motivate the students to learn something new which allow them to gain the knowledge. The theory helps the individual to adapt the new environment easily. The theory assists teachers to motivate intrinsic qualities to the individual which is beneficial for the students for achievement of the objectives (Pinder, 2014).
- Reward and incentives: Reward and incentive assist the teachers to motivate the students for the better results. Teachers provide prize and appraisal to the students in order to improve the performance of the students. Institutions provide scholarship to the students to boast the morale of the students.
In addition to this, all the theories plays vital role for the achievement of my objectives. As a student monetary and non-monetary benefits keep me motivated towards my objectives.
1.3 Effectiveness against the defined objectives
As per the above objectives, I have adopted various techniques to measure the effectiveness of the objectives. To monitor the effectiveness I have implemented various tools like class room learning, training, communication skill classes etc. This all techniques facilitate me to easily adopt the new working culture and improve the communication skills. Following are the techniques to measure the effectiveness of the objectives:
- Observation: Observation assists me to examine the progress of the objectives in better way. Through observation I can evaluate the self learning by comparing the skills of others. It will facilitate me to identify the advantage and disadvantage of my activities. Observation is the process of identifying the knowledge and tries to improve the skills (Latino.et.al.2015). The process compare the performance with the set standards if the individual performance is match with the set targets then it is positive and if did not match with the set targets then it comes under negative standard.
- Training: The objective can be achieved through proper training and development. If individual is trained then he can achieve the targets on time. The trained person can provide quality work to and maintain the consistency in the work. Training is the core part by which objectives can be achieved on deadline and assist the leader to promote the capable employee. Training assesses the individual to accomplish the task with proper quality and reliability.
- Class room learning: When faculty teach in the class it is the best to learn the skills like communication, leadership etc. A student can learn as much as he can learn in the class room that increase the concentration level of the individual and boast the morale of the individual while learning. Through concentrated learning an individual can easily focus on the objectives by implementing the learned skills (Imrie.et.al.2014). Classroom teaching is the best technique to examine the effectiveness of the objectives with proper skills. Effectiveness can be concluded through leadership skills also that how an individual handle the situation by implementing the skills in the situation.
1.4 Recommendation to improve the performance for the above objectives
For improvement student should concentrate in the class room teaching and ask the queries from the teachers. Individual should take the initiative in the class room teaching which boast the morale and indirectly help him to achieve the set objectives. The student should explore the online platforms to expand the knowledge. Through internet platforms student will be able to gain the knowledge and will be able to implement for the achievement of the above objectives. Student should asses the exterior environment to observe the techniques of the other and learn the techniques for better output. Student should learn the leadership qualities in order to handle the team. He should learn the qualities to coordinate with the peers in order to achieve the objectives by team working (Broadbent, 2013). Following are the ways to improve the performance for achievement of objectives:
- Internet: Student should learn the online books to learn the various leadership role & techniques, communication skills, management skills etc. Internet is the best way to learn the management qualities without any tutor and able to learn any time without interference of any other subordinate. Student should do the surfing for various elements related to the objectives in order to achieve the objectives on time.
- Observation: Student should observe the activities of the other person to learn the qualities. It will helps the student to gain the knowledge about the methods of leadership, communication etc. Observation is the best method to learn the qualities to other person or ideal. Student should develop the personality of the other person by which he can learn the positive things which assist him to meet the objectives.
- Watch the online video channels: Through online video channel a student will be able to absorb the techniques of the speaker. Various motivational lectures are available on the online video channels that assist the student to achieve the goals (Castells, 2013). Student can adopt the techniques of the speaker and communicate them to the subordinates.
- Seminars: Student should attend the seminars by which he or she can learn various things from the leaders who face the real world problems and share those problems with the listeners. In seminars students will be able to gain knowledge about the real world problems and solution for them. Seminars are conducted for the welfare of the students by which they can gain the knowledge and improve the communication skills.
a) Communication at various level
Table1: Email for ex-employee
Subject: Invitation for meal
It is being nice to writing you about the experience at workplace as I am glad to have your support but now I am missing the advice of you to complete the tasks and maintain the quality in operation at work. In order to meet you I am inviting for meal at my home on coming Sunday where we will share our experience and I will look for your support as a sounding board for my new venture. The organization is offering residential care services for people who have learning disability and taking initiative for encoring the conditions of people who are suffering from the disease.
Hope you will take invitation in positive manner and join me at home for meal and offer the direction for meeting the professional objectives.
Table2: Memo for team members
OASIS HOUSING ASSOCIATION
To: Team Executive
From: Chief executive
Subject: Planning the activities
The Oasis housing association is going to serve the people who are suffering from the learning disabilities and looking for the positive contribution from the staff members. For that reasons a meeting is going to be conducted shortly in which discussion over the issues and elements for planning of care services and allocation of role and responsibility for individual would be done. In addition to this, team members are requested to come up with the suggestion for outlining the proposal for developing and executing the plan for offering the standard care services to people according to needs and requirements. The main agenda for the meeting would be form a partnership with housing association.
Table3: Formal letter
Oasis housing association
22 July 2016
Mr. James Oswald
We are going to offer the care services to people who have learning disability and looking for support of residential care services to encourage the health standard and improve the knowledge about the own health requirements. For the purpose our organization has decided to conduct a meeting for discussing the formation of partnership to convert the two organizations into one unit that will help to manage the services and proper utilization of resources which will support to meet the organizational objectives. Moreover, the meeting will analyze the issues that will hamper the effectiveness of services due to partnership and allocation of role and responsibility to individual. Hope you will join the meeting which is scheduled on 1st August 2016, 10 am at Oasis housing association.
b) Time management strategies for conversion project completed on scheduled
Health care services are matter of time as the services availability on time is more essential for organization and patients to overcome the impact of issues on individual and groups. According to given scenario, third sector health care organization is offering the care services at traditional large unit based residential care services for people with learning disabilities. This organization is looking for developing the partnership with housing association to provide high quality services to patients (Chase.et.al.2013). For that objective, organization could use the following time management strategy and theory to maintain the effectiveness in services:
Pickle jars theory: For time management, the care housing association could use this theory. According to this theory, it’s up to individual and groups how they want to complete the task. The pickle jar time management is seen to be easiest method for the purpose of understanding, the most important here is to identify that which thing are business rocks, pebbles and water. It is important to draw attention towards important aspect by considering the impact that can be laid down by the aspect.
- Scheduling: This would be an important and useful time management strategy forhealth careorganization to apply to complete the task on time. By having the proper scheduling of tasks and resources the organization will be able to maintain the flow of functional activities for betterment of people with learning disability. For example, using this strategy for managing time the organization will plan the activities that require more concern to meet the objectives. This kind of scheduling will help to set out the time for high priority activities and get the things done on time (MacCann.et.al.2012).
- Priority: For health care services delivery, it is very important to set the priority for functions and services to meet the objectives. The health care management will use this strategy for determining the importance of tasks and allocate extra time for performing them. For that organization would develop the ‘to do’ list and set proper guideline for staff members to perform the activities according to plan to maintain the effectiveness in offering the services within given time period.
3.1 Theory used to develop the effective team work
Bruce Tuckman designs this theory to develop the effective work. The theory establishes the effective team work policy in the organization by which the tasks are achieved on time. The Tuckman’s theory is classified in four stages Forming, Storming, Norming and performing.
- Forming: This is the first stage in which all the members are polite, positive and behave according to the instruction of the leaders. Sometimes some of the members will not be able to understand that what kind of work the group performs so they behave unfavourable. Some group member feels excited because of new task allotted to them (Austin, 2013). A leader plays vital role in this stage because some group member’s duties are not clear so he should clear them about their roles and responsibilities. According to this stage, team members may be motivated but usually they are uninformed of the task and objectives of the team. As per the case, leader is new in the New Health promotion Team so he has to understand his role and responsibilities in the team.
- Storming: In the second stage, all the team members compete with each other in order to achieve the attention of the leader. In this stage, many teams may fail to coordinate with each other and it results to team failure. Storming is the stage where team members create the issues between each other and raise the conflicts among each other. Each individual has its own way to work sometimes it did not match with other peer and creates the conflict among each other. According to the case, leader is facing the problem to understand the responsibility and his friend is not coordinating with him it creates the issue among their relation (Seck and Helton, 2014).
- Norming: Under this stage, group members understand the feelings of each other and try to coordinate with each other and resolve the conflicts among them. This stage creates the harmony among the group members, they gets socialize with each other and member develop stronger commitment to the team goal. In this stage leader observe the progress in the organization.
- Performing: In this stage, team work hard without any error to achieve the team goal. The leader should design the regulation in order to achieve the goals on time and support the team member when they are facing problems. The leader develops the skills of the team mates in order to improve their performance.
3.2 Hackman’s five factor model to improve the performance of the team members
Hackman develop this theory for the improvement of team members and manage the team members by proper guidance (Bradley.et.al.2013). Richard Hackman emphasized on to satisfy the internal and external needs of the employees and develop the capabilities to perform better in future. The members should be satisfied with their job. Hackman develop the five factors are as follows:
- Being a real team: The leader should clearly explain to the member that who is in the team? Or who is out of the team? and member should share the responsibilities with each other. The leader should conduct the induction program which attract the new intern in the organization and maintain the level of member in the group. In group there are rare skills which are more important than the other member than leader should find the substitute of these skills. The manager should have the direct control over the member and maintain the decorum in the group.
- Compelling Direction: The second factor of the model is to provide the complete direction to the team members (De Hoogh.et.al.2015). As a manager each team should have the direct control and provide them correct direction in order to achieve the organizational goal. The objective must be specific, measurable, attainable, and relevant and time bound. The smart objective must be clearly stated to the group members by that they can put their efficiency into the right direction. To motivate the group member leader can use reward system.
- Enable Structure: Organizational structure plays vital role in the success of the team. Responsibility influence group members to put full efforts to achieve the team goal. Sometimes different authority must attract the member to complete the task on time for the success of team. Team structure must contain variety of social skills in order to meet the social goals.
- Supportive Context: The fourth aspect that makes the team successful is support on which all the operations of the team depend. A supportive context makes the team more competent which creates the positive image of the team. The supportive framework is made up of three elements reward, development and information. A reward is allotted on the basis of performance and coordination. Second element is development is based on the efforts of individual to perform the task. The third element is information that a leader should force to the subordinate in order to get the success of group (Brown and Chandrasekaran, 2014).
- Expert Coaching: This is the last factor of the Hackman’s model in this model he states that the leader should provide the coaching to the member in order to improve their skills. As a team leader should cooperate with the leaders in order to motivate them. The leader should provide training assistance to the subordinates to improve their efficiency. For the progress of the team the leader should provide training assistance to the team mates.
4.1 Analysis of problem and proper strategy to solve the problem
As per the case team has to solve the problem that is related to the residential home care. In the case it is mentioned that person has the rigid kind of behaviour that she cannot make the friends easily and did not focus on her work. Lucy is the patient she needs the training for her aggressive and disruptive behaviour. She always wants to be the centre of attraction when she enters into the room (Cohen and Lotan, 2014). Sometimes she become over excited staff member will be able to handle Lucy due to communication gap between patient and care taker. Care taker should identify the problems of the patients and find the best alternative to solve the problem. For effective treatment care taker must need the proper training and special skills to treat the patients like Lucy. The main problem they are facing is to identify the emotional needs of the Lucy in order to evaluate the best solution for the problems of the patients. For effective alternative management should provide training sessions to the staff member in order to provide best treatment to the patients like Lucy. Management should develop the strategy to treat the patients like Lucy by which they cannot misbehave in the campus and maintain the decorum of the hospital. Following are the steps for the strategy
- Motivation to the staff members
- Proper training
- Remove the communication gap between patient and care taker
- Identify the personal needs of the team member to improve the quality of work
- Create the suitable environment by which employee give their best
This strategy will develop the skills of the staff members and care taker will treat the patients in the best way. Periodic training will develop the skills of the employees and eradicate the unnecessary burden on the care taker and make the care taker able to solve the problems of the patients (Yazdani and Tavakkoli, 2012). The strategy removes the communication gap between the patients and care taker by which patients clearly defines their problems and staff member will be able to provide effective solution for the problem.
4.2 Solution of the problem through Fish bone diagram
Fish bone diagram is the effective tool to solve the problem and allows the leader to recognize the problem by corrective action. It is a simple analysis tool that helps the leader for brain storming issues and identifies causes for the particular problem. The prime function of fish bone diagram is to identify the causes of the problem and then eradicate the sources of the issue. It enables the team to focus on the problem not on the sources of the problem. Following are the steps that implement the fish diagram easily:
- Motivation: Team leader should provide the motivation to the group member in order to boast the morale of the members. The leader should implement the various motivational techniques in order to increase the efficiency of the team members. Leader should identify the needs of the employees and provide them things according to their needs to keep them motivated. If employee is motivated then they do their best for the treatment of the patient (Goriwondo, 2013).
- Training: Leader should provide periodic training for the development of the employees. Proper trained employees provide effective treatment to the patients which creates positive image of the team. Training develops the efficiency of the care takers and assists them to serve quality services to the employees.
- Communication: Leader should remove the communication between the patient and care taker. Trough good communication patients can easily explain the deficiency and taker will be able to treat according to the problem.
- Personal needs: An effective leader should asses the personal needs of the staff members in order to generate the quality work. By identifying the personal needs leader can easily motivate the staff members and increase their focus towards the work (Whimbey.et.al.2013).
- Suitable working environment: A leader has the liability to develop the good working environment. A sound working environment may develop the efficiency of the employees in order to satisfy the demands of the patients. Sound environment develop the productive mentality among the staff members.
Figure 1: Fish Bone Diagram
4.3 Recommendation for the solving the problem in more effective way
For better result manager should develop the positive environment by which staff members give their best for the treatment of the patients. For better output periodic training should be provided to the members by which more and more output could be generated. A better working atmosphere will develop the good relation between patient and home care institutions. A leader should identify the personal and professional needs of the staff members by which they feel motivated to serve quality services to the patients. Team leader should motivate the group members through performance appraisal, monetary and non-monetary benefits (Susskind and Ali, 2014). Leader should develop the skills of the workers by which they indentify the emotional needs of the patients. As per the case workers will not be able to recognize the problem of Lucy by which all the members are patients are facing the problem by the behaviour of the Lucy. In order to come up with the problems leader should provide technical assistance to the team members by which team members would be able to identify the problems of the patients.
The study explains the personal responsibilities of the student in the institution and binds him to follow the instruction of the tutor. The report explains the ability of the student and establishes the direct and indirect relationship with the other in the institution. In the further part the report the depicts the motivational theories followed by the student in order to motivate himself and set the smart objectives to in order to achieve them in the current semester. The study also identifies the effectiveness of the objectives to identify the progress of the objectives. The report provides the recommendations to improve the performance of the student by attending the seminars, class room teaching, internet etc. In the further study there is a situation in which a chief executive sends mail to the ex-colleague to invite her for meal and explain her that I will use her as a sounding board for the new business. The next part explains that chief executive write the memo to the staff to define the agenda for the staff meeting. The further report depicts the Tuckman’s theory for the group development and Huckman’s five factor model to improve the performance of the team. The further study defines the solution of the problem and designs the appropriate business strategy for the problem.
Books and journals
Austin, G.A., 2013. NURSING STUDENTS AND TUCKMAN’S THEORY: BUILDING COMMUNITY USING COHORT DEVELOPMENT (Doctoral dissertation, University of Central Florida Orlando, Florida).
Bachmann, C., Abramovitch, H., Barbu, C.G., Cavaco, A.M., Elorza, R.D., Haak, R., Loureiro, E., Ratajska, A., Silverman, J., Winterburn, S. and Rosenbaum, M., 2013. A European consensus on learning objectives for a core communication curriculum in health care professions. Patient education and counseling, 93(1), pp.18-26.
Bradley, B.H., Klotz, A.C., Postlethwaite, B.E. and Brown, K.G., 2013. Ready to rumble: How team personality composition and task conflict interact to improve performance. Journal of Applied Psychology, 98(2), p.385.
Broadbent, D.E., 2013. Perception and communication. Elsevier.
Brown, D.C. and Chandrasekaran, B., 2014. Design problem solving: knowledge structures and control strategies. Morgan Kaufmann.
Castells, M., 2013. Communication power. OUP Oxford.
Chase, J.A.D., Topp, R., Smith, C.E., Cohen, M.Z., Fahrenwald, N., Zerwic, J.J., Benefield, L.E., Anderson, C.M. and Conn, V.S., 2013. Time management strategies for research productivity. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 35(2), pp.155-176.
Cohen, E.G. and Lotan, R.A., 2014. Designing Groupwork: Strategies for the Heterogeneous Classroom Third Edition. Teachers College Press.
De Hoogh, A.H., Greer, L.L. and Den Hartog, D.N., 2015. Diabolical dictators or capable commanders? An investigation of the differential effects of autocratic leadership on team performance. The Leadership Quarterly, 26(5), pp.687-701.
Goriwondo, W.M., 2013. Problem solving and its impact on Productivity.
Imrie, B.W., Cox, K., Imrie, B.W., Miller, A. and Miller, A., 2014. Student assessment in higher education: a handbook for assessing performance. Routledge.
Latino, R.J., Latino, K.C. and Latino, M.A., 2016. Root cause analysis: improving performance for bottom-line results. CRC press.