Delivery in day(s): 5
Unit 20 Employee Relations Assignment- BMH
Diploma in Business
Unit Number and Title
Unit 20 Employee Relations - BMH
Employee relation is process of engaging and encouraging the staff members of organization who have significant contribution in the planning and implementation of strategy. For organization, it is important to have positive and strong relation with the employees that could help to make changes in the organization process and culture according to requirements. The Unit 20 Employee relations assignment- BMH will discuss about the framework and their benefitsas well disadvantages for organizations. In addition to this essay will assess the impact of the trade union changes on the employee relation as well role of main player in the process of employee relations. In the next task report will analyze the process that followed by NHS in different conflicts situation as well evaluate the effectiveness procedure followed in conflicts situation. Furthermore, report will evaluate the role of negotiation in collective bargaining related to NHS and assess the impact of negotiation for organization to meet the business objectives.
Task 1 Essay
Unitary and pluralistic framework
There are different types of approach and framework has been used for understanding and managing the behavior of individual and groups that helps to maintain the relations by considering their perception andvalues. According to analysis, unitary framework refers to the approach of evaluating the ongoing process, attitude, assumption and practices related to management as well as organizational members. For an organization the stakeholders plays critical role in the planning and implementation of strategy as well utilization of resources to meet the business and personal objectives. For developing the uniform approach and process to meet the objectives and maintain the standard process, organization can use this kind of framework which will support to development of mission statement and measure the success thorough actual achievement of set. The top management of organizationcould use this kind of framework to motivate and develop the interest in the work that will help to improve the performance as well optimum utilization of resources. For managing the resources and planning of the activities would be consider in the unitary that support the development and proper management of operational services. Moreover, by using this type of framework, organization considers the employability skills of employees as their partners that influence the morale of staff members (Blanchflower and Bryson, 2010). According to this approach the top management of organization offersrewards and other non-financialbenefits that influence the interest and performance of staff. Apart from that, organization it can harm the organization and it may not avail the necessary resources for practicing legal, procedural and policy formulation. By involving different trade unions controls and benefits for managing issues in business, the unionism and pluralistic frames affect the business sustainability.
On the other hand, Pluralistic framework refers to organizational process that involvesthe power and authority of managing the senior and sub group members. According to this approach, organization is having the good knowledge of objectives and needs of the staff members. Moreover, the top management plays important role in the management services as it make the decision for controlling and coordinating with the employees to develop the plan and consider the input of the union (Dow, 2012). Theunion also plays critical role in the proper consideration of legal framework, management of employee’s disputes and develops the alternative plan for employee’swelfare. Moreover, this kind of framework involvesthe evolution of positive changes and follow-up of union restriction that has significant impact of the human resources development process. Additionally, the pluralistic frames are required for controlling, monitoring and effectiveness of the operation management or it will harm the strength of business.
Impact of trade union changes on employee relation
In the current scenario, organizationsare bound to follow the legal process for recruitment, offering the wages and safety of the staff that helps to maintain the relation with the employees. In order to monitor and analyze the approach of top management over these issues, trade union plays critical role. For employee welfare, trade union offer the information about the rights of the staff members within organization that helps the staff members to gain the necessary benefits that are for all. In additionto this, trade union perform tasks like modification, analysis of expectation and behaviour of staff and top management consider the external and internal factors that have significant impact on the relationship. It develops and provides the training to employees as per the new standard and supports them to get familiar with the situation (Hayter, 2011). By considering the facts it can be consider that trade union has significant impact on the changes of employee behaviour and developing the new opportunities for getting the right place and facilities to deal with the situation. apart from that trade union is also involve in the situations like strike,lockout and protect against the management that influence the behaviour of other employees and lead to implement the changes in the organizational process of maintaining the relations. For that purpose, it is essential for organization to involve the tread union in the decision marking and implementation of changes in employs activities.
Role of main players
For managing the relation and planning of the activities there are various main players that have significant impact on the business activities of organizations as well management of relation between employer and employees. The HR department of organization plays the critical role in the employee relation planning and improvement as it develop the plan andprocess for considering the needs of the staff to deal with the situation and offer them required support to perform the tasks. According to analysis the main task of HR manager is to allocate the role and responsibility, resources and provide the clear guideline for performing the tasks (Jeffery, 2015). Moreover, manager monitored the performance and needs of the staff members as well built the positive and healthy working environment that influence the performance.
The other main player in this approach is trade union that performs tasks like modification, analysis of expectation and behaviour of staff and top management consider the external and internal factors that have significant impact on the relationship. It develops and provides the training to employees as per the new standard and supports them to get familiar with the situation. Apart from that state government also has active participation in the process of managing the relation and monitors the approach of organization towards the staff members (Dür and Mateo, 2010). The government analyze trends and legal practices of organization that helps to maintain the positive relation with the employee by offering the satisfactory wages and environment for working. Moreover, Government has made the contract law to protect the labour and stakeholders rights at the workplace.
2.1 Procedure that BMA and NHS employer should follow when dealing with different conflict situation
Conflicts can have positive or negative effects in organization. In serious situation if conflicts are found between NHS employer and BMA, then their management or human resource management should take it into consideration in their decision making. Employees of an organization generally get angry with their management, depending on the cause of conflict. Conflict in NHS employer and BMA can arise due to small problems like extra work, low salary etc. Here, are some procedures will help BMA and NHS employer to solve conflicts between them:
- Convenient working condition- Management of BMA and NHS employer should try to keep healthy working conditions in organization. HRD management should try to mix faith between employees so that, their cannot be any origin of conflicts between their employees (Markos and Sridevi, 2010). If basic requirement of each and every employees are fulfilled by their organization then healthy and happy working conditions can be maintained in organization. A due weight age of needs should be given to every employees of organization. If a healthy condition is maintained inside an organization then there are more chances that organization can sustain in market and can urn reasonable amount of profit in their market.
- Handling reasonable conflicts- Management of BMA and business environment of NHS employer should consider each conflict situation very seriously. Conflicts should be solved with proper solutions. It is important to solve the conflicts between employees so that the bridge which is created between both the organizations can be reduced. Management should keep an eye on each and every activity of their workers so that they can know what problems workers are facing in their organization. Management of BMA and NHS employer should solve the conflicts of their employees at origin only so that conflict cannot expand more and cause hindrance in work of their respective employees (Patton and Balakrishnan, 2010).
- Solving conflicts- It is very important for organization to solve the conflicts of their employees at initial stage. Solving a conflict is one of the biggest burdens for an organization. Management should hear both the question and problems of BMA and NHS employer rather than blaming individual. It is important to understand the reason which caused conflict between employees. Management should try to build understanding between the employees and give opportunities to them for solving their problems. Management should provide best solutions to employees so that they can solve their problem (Turker, 2009).
2.2 Key features of employee relation
Management of BMA and NHS employer must try to build communication skills in their employees; so that in future if any conflict arises between the employees of both the organization, then it can be solved orally. An honest and clear communication skill vanish the gap between the employees. In modern and developing world it is observed that relationships between employees are get complex, it depends upon organization that who they maintain healthy relation between their employees. BMA and NHS employer management must try to define and state the problems of their employees, each and every employee must be met separately and opportunity of being heard must be given to that employee. Here are some key features which define employee relation:
- Ideological framework- It defines a body of idea which reflects the belief and interest of group, ideas, behaviour, and metal framework of an employee. Conflicts generally arise because of ideological framework of employees. Every employee has likings and disliking, it depends upon management of both the organization to respect the ideology of their workers so that their, cannot be origin of a conflict. Meditation is a process through which disputes can be solved easily.
- Conflicts and cooperation- It is one of the biggest reasons which affect the relation between employees. The reason behind the cause of conflicts is dissatisfaction, disagreement and dispute between the employees and organization. A dispute can be solved with the help of proper meditation, negotiation between employees (Mowday.et.al. 2013). Each employee of BMA and NHS employer has their own views, and when these views differ from each other it gives origin to conflicts. Conflicts between employees arise at regular intervals of time, so it becomes important for management of both the organization to monitor each and every activity of their employees. Some conflicts can becomes such huge that it can even effect the functioning of organization. Coordination among employees help in achieving high standard and quality of work as talent of employees are used in performing different operation of organization. Corporation helps in achieving organization goals and it is because of coordination that strong working relations are built between employees. With help of corporation organizations like BMA and NHS employer can achieve organizational goals and can promote opportunities within employees. Corporation reduces the risk of conflicts and disputes with employees and organizations.
2.3 Evaluation effectiveness of procedure followed by BMA and NHS employers to solve conflicts
For attaining employee relationship strength management of BMA and NHS employer must resolve their conflicts. It is important for management of BMA and NHS employer to understand the conflict between their employees and then effective steps should be taken to remove the conflict. Management should admit the problem of their individual employees.
- Recognize the problem- Steps taken by management have helped the employees in finding the problems of each other. Blaming statement has reduced between employees. Employees of BMA and NHS employees are understanding problems of each others. Trade union has helped management to find the solution of disputes between employees and also helped organization in finding disputes solution (Moore, 2014).
- Healthy working conditions- Effective steps which were taken by management to overcome the dispute between employees has promoted healthy working environment in organization. It has helped the organization in retaining their staff. Due to this productivity and profits of BMA and NHS employer has increased rapidly. Good working condition leads to higher productivity. It has caused positive effect on both internal and external environment of organization.
- Focus to work on solution- Employees of BMA and NHS employer are now focusing on the solution of disputes. They are not involving in blaming statements with each other, which are very important for both the organization. Managers are easily recognizing the problems of their employees and finding solutions to solve problems. For example if there is communication gap between employees of both the organization that result to conflict and misunderstanding between them in organization. After evaluating whole scenario manager has set up a new communication channel between the employees of the organization. Manager has set up a new program which has helped the employees to develop new communication skill among them. This has given a positive effect on communication between the employees (Kehoe.et.al.2013). Due to this all the misunderstanding which was causing negative effect in organization has diminished.
- Positive response on conflicts- The employees of BMA and NHS employer has now understood to take each and every conflict between them positively. By giving positive response on conflicts employees has understand each and every aspects of organization. Taking a conflict positive has cause huge amount of opportunities in organization and has helped the employees to get develop personally. If staff members of organization gives positive response on a conflict this leaves a positive impact on other staff people too have the organization in achieve goodwill in their market
3.1 Role of negotiation in collective bargaining in conflict
Negotiation is controlled by human resource management and top level management of BMA and NHS employer to achieve economic solution to the workplace in organization. It is because of employees all the business ideas and objectives of business are converted in practical form. Employees are one of the most important resources of an organization. For smooth functioning and better performance in market, it is important for management to have bonding between their employees. The different policies and programs which organization sets to achieve its goals may affect the relationship with the employees. Collective bargaining is important for organizations like BMA and NHS employer to build an agreement for their working and salary system. To achieve this, organization should start to work with their employees to achieve their right and profit through their union in the organization. This will help to increase bonding between employees and organization. Collective bargaining is an agreement that help the employees of both the organization to protect their right in legal form (Glassner and Keune, 2010).
Social, technical, economical are the facilities which an employee uses with the help of collective bargaining. It protects the overall rights of an employees working in organization of BMA and NHS employer. Management of organization should prepare such an agreement which protects the rights of their as well as of organization. Negotiation helps the organizations to reduce the conflicts between BMA and NHS employer. It promotes the trust between employees and increases the productivity of work place. Organization uses negotiation in collective bargaining so that they can retain their employees in this competitive world. Employee uses negotiation in bargaining achieves long term goals and benefit. This means it is useful for both organization and its employees for long run. A higher decision making power can be achieved by management through negotiation. The collective bargaining has full control over the policies and program regarding utilization of resources of organization. The authorized groups that are of employees help the organization of BMA and NHS employer to take important decision in organization regarding market competition. It also helps employees my make decisions in their favor. With the help of collective bargaining management of BMA and NHS employer can know the position of their organization and can make different policies and program to achieve organizational goals (Kelly.et.al. 2011). Negotiation helps worker of organization to stand for their rights and empower the benefits of their work.
3.2 The impact of negotiation strategy for BMA and NHS employer
If there is default in business strategies and practices then it may decrease the performance and quality of work in organization. Dispute between the employees of BMA and NHS employer can have negative effect on business meeting, business policies and on market position of organization. There can be problems of recruitment and cessation of work. BMA and NHS employer must find those strategies that can help them to achieve their business goals. For running business smoothly and effectively organization must negotiate collective bargain. The conditions which are point of discussion for negotiation must be identified by the management of BMA and NHS employer. There are lots of advantages as well as disadvantages of negotiation for organization and its employees. humust be included in negotiation of business. This will provide help to business in expansion and negotiation strategies helps in sustaining of organization in this competitive and fast growing world (Bamberger.et.al. 2014).
Let’s take an example, for negotiation of equipments and improvement in organization, it must be according to overall services which are offered by organization and revenue of production unit. Negotiation brings a huge amount of benefits for an organization. Through negotiation BMA and NHS employer, a vast amount of profit can be collected even after low favourable condition. Negotiation helps the business to increase its productivity and quality of its work and helps in decreasing staff turnover. Negotiation practices changes time to time, depending upon situation and condition in business. Negotiation theories are flexible in nature. These theories can be melded according to the situation by the management. The strategies which are pending for BMA and NHS employers can be delayed for uncertain period of time. Through negotiation strategies management of both the organization can achieve trust of their employees and can bring market value in organization. This helps in reducing the disputes and tension within employees. Negotiation strategies have both positive as well negative effects in organization. It depends upon organization to organization that how they can use the theories of negotiation to its great effect. With the help of negotiation organization achieve its social and personal objectives.
From the above study it can be considered that managing employee relation is major taskformanagement that helps to improve the process and planning of the functions. Reportprovided the detail information about the different framework that used for managing the approach to deal with the staff members and involve them into organizational process that has positive impact on the planning. Moreover, report has explained process of dealing with the conflicts situation and assesses the impact of negotiation strategy of NHS.
Books and journals
Bamberger, P.A., Biron, M. and Meshoulam, I., 2014. Human resource strategy: Formulation, implementation, and impact. Routledge.
Blanchflower, D.G. and Bryson, A., 2010. The wage impact of trade unions in the UK public and private sectors. Economica, 77(305), pp.92-109.
Dow, S.C., 2012. Methodological pluralism and pluralism of method. InFoundations for New Economic Thinking (pp. 129-139). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
Dür, A. and Mateo, G., 2010. Choosing a bargaining strategy in EU negotiations: power, preferences, and culture. Journal of European Public Policy, 17(5), pp.680-693.
Glassner, V. and Keune, M., 2010. Negotiating the crisis? Collective bargaining in Europe during the economic downturn.
Hayter, S. ed., 2011. The role of collective bargaining in the global economy: Negotiating for social justice. Edward Elgar Publishing.
Jeffery, C. ed., 2015. The regional dimension of the European Union: towards a third level in Europe?. Routledge.
Kehoe, R.R. and Wright, P.M., 2013. The impact of high-performance human resource practices on employees’ attitudes and behaviors. Journal of management, 39(2), pp.366-391.
Kelly, E.L., Moen, P. and Tranby, E., 2011. Changing workplaces to reduce work-family conflict schedule control in a white-collar organization. American Sociological Review, 76(2), pp.265-290.
Markos, S. and Sridevi, M.S., 2010. Employee engagement: The key to improving performance. International Journal of Business and Management,5(12), p.89.
Moore, C.W., 2014. The mediation process: Practical strategies for resolving conflict. John Wiley & Sons.