Delivery in day(s): 5
Human Resources Management Assignment Genpact
Human resources management is the term which defines how resources like man power are managed in an efficient manner so that best outcome could be generated. Management is very broad term comprised of planning, vision, mission, process or set of activates in systematic manner. Human resources are the key pillar of an organization they are considered as a back bone. Now a days employees and their quality of work is not less than an assets even though their value is not shown in the financial statement but still this are the valuable assets for an organization.
In order to maintain a good internal environment and maintain the proper rotation of employees in the work process human resources management plays a very pivotal role. Human resource management and HR department are highly responsible in employees work performance and their retention in work process. An organization and its promoter can only plug capital in the business but it is their employees and staffs who perform work, covert raw material into finished goods and make tactical plans and operation in business organisation . Human resource management department are compared with the functioning of cardio vascular system in human body.
1.1 Differentiate between personnel management and human resource management giving examples in two suitable organizations?
In today’s complex era where different organization in running its business with different sources. Organizations are coupled with various set of activates. In order to curb the personnel issues there is different management programmed are performed in an organization. Personnel program is related with management of employees working in an organization but now a day there is new concept human resources management which is replacing it with different set of new intents (Cooper & Robertson, 2015). There are following differences shown between them.
Personnel management (TCS)
Human resources management (GENPACT)
This is the traditional approach which has become with the time.
It is a new concept widely accepted in different big organization.
It focuses on personal administration, employee welfare and labour relation.
It focuses on development, motivation and maintained of manpower in an organization.
It undertakes functions of employee’s satisfaction.
In this administrative functions are undertaken for achievement of goal and mission of an organization.
Personnel management is concerned with routine function.
It is comprised with the functions which are non-structured and non-repetitive in nature.
In personnel management decision is taken by top management or promoter group of people.
In this mostly decisions are taken by team leaders or HR head department.
In personnel management only personnel team leader is taken into consideration.
In case of human resources management leader of each department areas are taken into consideration.
In GENPACT where more than lakhs of employees are working for it human resources management play key role. GENPACT has used variety of technique in order to boost its employee retention strength. GENPACT is engaged in providing outsourcing work which is completely dependent upon the personnel working for it. Human resources management staff is creating different set of policies and framework in order to make organization employee oriented.
1.2 Assess how human resource management functions help your chosen organization in achieving its purpose?
Human resources management in GENPACT is providing different set of functions in order to assist proper functioning of activates so that desire results could be achieved.
- Selection: - Human Resource management of GENPACT are the authority who makes selection at the time of hiring of employees. It is the foundation step in creating quality of staffs in an organization. HRM department needs to take proper due diligence in the selection process (Cesyniene & Stankeviciene, 2012).
- Recruitment: - In this HRM department after making selection of eligible candidates who could work for an organization make bifurcation between better good and best. It is the process where qualities of man powers are identified.
- Payroll: - Employees of GENPACT works in organization so that they could also get something out of the services provided by them. Payroll decided by HRM department makes clear all the mist regarding with their salaries and incentives. This is the process in which organization align employees interest with that of an origination (Cesyniene & Stankeviciene, 2012).
- Employee’s motivation: - In the complex competitive environment HRM department or Team leader has to motivate employees consistently so that best quality of outcome could be generated. Motivation enthusiasm, character building is most important factor in developing core competency in market.
- Employment termination: - Termination stands for ending something. In order to increase employee retention HRM department of GENPACT consistently making lucrative policies and creative strategies. It is the clear fact that experienced employees are not less than an effective tool.
1.3 Evaluate the role and responsibilities of line managers in your organization or familiar organization and how it supports human resource management functions?
Some small business often do not have specialist HR manager who take care of the functions like hiring and firing, recruitment and administrative work regard with the employees. Big organization may have line manager who perform functions like maintain day to day activates in particular HR department, inform higher authority, provide information to particular process leader etc. It is Line manager who perform different day to day activates for implementing HR activates and policies (Popescu & Ratiu, 2012).
Helps in maintain good relation with employees:- when there is no need of HR specialist in organization, line manager is the person who guide support and trained employee regard with the work profile. Line manager check the drawback s of employees and also helps him to overcome in easy manner.
Create a performance check list: - Line manager have a direct contact with his employees and also have a check list of employee’s performance. This is to say that line manger make appraisal with the services provided by employees.
Key role In Pay scale: - In a small organization like firms or LLP where there is no collection of data regarding with the work performed by different people line manger plays an important role. Performance rating, efficiency in work and other factors are provided by line manager.
Disciplining of employees and helps them to maintain the decorum:- line manager is the person who supervises employees and guide them to perform activities in ethical manner; however line manger behaviour is more likely to influence employees.
Nexus between employees and top management: -line manager is the mediator between top management and employees he helps employees to convey their messages to top employers.
1.4 Analyse how legal and regulatory framework impact on human resource management?
Human resource management in an organization has to adhere by the rules, regulation and other legislation applicable to the jurisdiction where organization is operating its business. Legal department is highly responsible in complying the laws and other act and helps in avoiding high amount of penalties (Schmidt, et. al., 2011).
There are following laws and act which impact company drastically in several manners:-
- Sex Discrimination Act 1995:-This act provides that GENPACT has to avoid partiality and discrimination in terms of gender, cast, race and other factors in order to maintain equality in the working environment (Liao, et. al., 2010).
- Equal Pay Act 1970:-There is the fact that GENPACT Follows various legislative policies, rules and regulation in order to keep self-complied with legislative framework of government. This explicit that it becomes unlawful when there is discrimination is done on the basis of pay scale to the people with the same calibre (Schmidt, et. al., 2011).
- Disability Discrimination Acts 1995 and 2005: - It depicts the disability of person to perform some determined task in office culture.in order to promote social involvement government has made mandatory for the organization to help disable person in working environment such as special lift facility, different bathroom facility, allowing helping person to enter into work premises.
- National minimum wages ACT 1998:- It provides that every employee working in an organization should be getting at least prescribed wages rate per hour. In numerical it is 3.80 $ per hour (Schmidt, et. al., 2011).
2.1 Analyse the reasons for human resource planning?
Human resource planning is an important tool in any organisation. It helps in providing, maintaining manpower in an organisation in an adequate amount. Reduction in total turnover, retention of quality of employees and generating of good man power team are the key factors
In the scenario given it is understood that there is need to make critical human resource planning in order to sustain the workforce in the organisation.
Reduction in employee turnover: - human resource planning is a part of management of human resources. Human resources planning help to identify the future needs of the employees with the expected demand in forecasted market. It will helps organisation to understand employees needs and their expectation.
Make clarification with sub objectives: - GENPCT make human resources planning in order to understand the demand of the product in market and correlate it with the expected labours need for the same. If proper planning function is not performed it may lead into total loss of an organisation.
Helps in maiming labour cost turnover: - Proper planning and procedure of human resource helps in reduction in labour cost and it also reduce the time engaged in hiring and firing process. It is seen that proper planning helps in reduction in employee turnover of an organisation.
Helps in external planning factors:-Planning of human resources provides key ideas regarding with the manpower engaged in production, legal and selling department. This all helps top level management to generate a good planning with that of external environment consisted with demand, supply, cost of the product, services offered and so on.
Recruitment and selection: - Planning of human resource gives a clear idea about how many employees we have and how many is required for performing some specified task.
Helps in internal planning factors: - Human resources who are the key pillars in performing organisation functions. Management of human resources provide data regarding with the cost incurred in hiring and quality of work provide by them. This will give estimation in planning internal functions.
2.2 Outlining the stages involved in planning human resource requirements?
Human resources planning are the process of estimation of future needs of the employees with that of business environment force. Human resource planning will help organisation to keep phase with the demand of the employees in the business environment with the expected demands of the products.
In order to with the problems shown in case organisation should do following planning of human resources involve following steps:-
- Assessment of human resources: - This study depicts the actual number of employees in the business and the need of number of employees in business based on internal and external analysis.
- Forecasting of demand and supply of human resources as per the market condition.
- Providing clear idea about the gap finding with the help of above two analyses.
- Now the HR team of organisation formulate the action plan in order to make arrangement.
- Proper monitoring feedback and control action should be performed time to time (Allal-Chérif, 2014).
2.3 Compare the current recruitment and selection process in the organisation with another organisation you recommending?
Current recruitment and selection process
Current selection process is not good enough to identify the most suitable candidate for the job.
Its selection process is highly critical and provides clear identification of right person for the job.
Selection test procedure
Selection test procedure dose not even provide idea about aptitude and calibre of candidates.
Questionnaire or other tactical questions are asked which provides the clear image of the candidates as per calibre and intelligence.
Different tests assessment
There is no such test conducted in organisation there has to be proper check list of test conducted on candidates.
Psychometric test are the basis of interview then rest other test come into the way in different interview sections.
In short whatever selection method is used in organisation but they should be clear, no discrimination, valid, cost effective.
2.4 Evaluate the effectiveness of the organisation recruitment and selection techniques with another organisation you recommending.
Success of organisation is dependent upon its ability to find and hire right amount of people in the organisation. In the scenario given Organisation recruitment and selection techniques is not impressive.
- Recruiting: - Recruiting is the process which is highly based on its internal and external environment. In current organisation recruiting process is very traditional as comparative to other organisation. Where GENPACT is following the help of Internet and employee referral bonus technique at the same time organisation is focusing on walk in interviews (Atkinson, 2011).
- Selection: - It is the process which helps to identify potential qualified people out of mist of candidates. Current organisation is asking rough standard question in order to make selection. Organisation needs to ask the candidate’s right choice of question likes how far you see yourself in the company? What are your future prospective plans? Where do you see yourself after 5 year? And further more so it could be said that selection procedure is also not effective.
3.1 Assess the link between motivational theory and reward at Virgin Media or your chosen organisation. Your answer must show if you think there is a link, what connects the two?
There are different motivational theories has been published by different economist but Virgin media has used the reward method in order to motivate employees.
Motivation is a short process by which behaviour, need and desire is influenced by others. Now a day in big organisations like Virgin Media Ltd has used this process in order to get best result out of their employees.
Maslow has put forward motivational theory that there are five needs of employees which must be satisfied in order to motivate them reward is one of that five pillar. Maslow and Herzberg’s theories also depict different aspects. Virgin Media has used different prospective channels and aspects in order to see the satisfaction level in employee’s work performance. Reward is the system through which employees are given privilege to enjoy the outcome of their services so that they can satisfy their need in monetary term. Maslow and Herzberg say each and every employee is different with their different need therefor monetary term appreciation is mandatory so that their need could be covered. In virgin media they reward their staff for their work because it keeps motivating them at work. Furthermore they also use reward strategies in order to provide them extra benefits such as providing them car, insurance benefit and so on. There are many types of theories of motivation such as Maslow's, Herzberg's, McClelland's and McGregor's theories. Reward is the key pillar in all the theories given (Lin & Lo, 2015).
3.2 Evaluate the process of job evaluation and other factors determining pay at Virgin Media or your chosen organization.
Job Evaluation is necessary in Virgin media Ltd as there has been merger and amalgamation of two companies. There needs to be systematic way of determining the value or worth of a job, comparative to others job in the organization.
With a view to see the systematic approach in deciding the pay scale of each and every employees in organization Virgin media needs to follows steps as below:-
- Create Job evaluation Committee: - Virgin Media Ltd needs to formulate bench who will be liable to formulate all the policies and procedure in order to decide pay to each and every employees as per their skills.
- Jobs which are to be evaluated: -In Virgin Media there is different jobs and process some are structured and some non-structured. Structured job profile has fixed pay salary which will not be covered in job evaluation criteria (De Gieter, & Hofmans, 2015).
- Analysis and preparing job description: -there needs to be proper standard and set formulas in order to prepare a draft. Work performance, effectiveness productivity are the factors which are considered in Job analysis process.
- Elect the method of evaluation: -Different organization use different method but in organization like Virgin there is two methods which could be beneficial- factor comparison method and Ranking method.
- Classify the job of each and every employee: - This is to say that employees working in organization are not same. They all perform different set of activates in order to make increment in production. There are set of factors which are such as skills, calibre to perform work effectiveness etc. (De Gieter, & Hofmans, 2015).
3.3 Assess in different contexts (for e.g. attracting talent, retention, and motivation) how effective is the reward systems at Virgin Media or your chosen organization?
Reward system is the process which provides satisfaction to the employees working in organization in order to satisfy their need in monetary term. Different motivational theory has shown the value and impact of reward on productivity of organization.
Reward system in Virgin Media has shown following benefit in different parts (Padfield, 2015).
- Attracting Talent: - Many people in this world are having different need and in this money oriented economy where everything could be purchased with the help of money. Organization is also taking the benefit of this Money oriented economy in order to satisfy their employees need. Methods likes providing incentives, bonus, dips, and reward points which could be converted into cash etc. are the lucrative deals which attract employees very much.
- Retention: - HRM division needs to understand the value of reward system so that they can prevent employees from leaving the organization. Virgin Media comprised of two different organizations has to understand the requirement of their manpower in order to see the success. Employee turnover and cost associated with it are covering factor which could be minimized with the help of lucrative reward system.
- Motivation: -Reward is the part of motivational theories. Motivation is the process through which organization can influence employees in a positive manner in order to see increment in production level. Motivation in short arises from the satisfaction of needs and reward is the best manner in such converting technique (Padfield, 2015).
3.4 Examine the methods Virgin Media or your chosen organization use to monitor employee performance.
Virgin Media Could use following method in order to monitor employee performance.
- Proper watch on employee’s performance: -In order to evaluate employees productivity in organization Virgin Media needs to put proper watch on employees and their each activities. There is old say that watching with your own eyes are highly truthful facts regardless of seeing data in front of you.
- Proper communication with employees: -Virgin Media needs to make consistent communication with their employees. Organization needs to ask employees of their work, the problem they are facing and who is liable for the outcome.
- Self-monitoring tool: -this is the best method which could make a proper check on each and every work performed by employees. This process provides the accurate data to organization. This process also helps organization to establish a proper working value chain (Ninaus, et. al., 2015).
- Hire Appraisal manager: - Virgin Media needs to hire a Performance Checker who will put emphasis on effectiveness, productivity, and other factors. He will be liable for the proper functioning and monitoring of employee’s performance.
- Ranking method: - Virgin media could use this ranking method. This is the method in which ranking is assigned for the different work based on the quality and effectiveness. This method is mostly used in MNC in order to provide reward and other benefit for its employees (Ninaus, et. al., 2015).
4.1 Identify the reasons for termination of Faisal’s employment contract with The Chicken Master and generally explain other reasons for cessation of employment?
- The chicken master a small restaurant in Gants Hill and Faisal was a 54-year-old Asian male with 15 years of restaurant management experience; Bob who is the owner of the restaurant is firing Faisal for some following reasons.
- Faisal was on a big Strike-out without any notification or mail.
- He was completely liable for the poor performance and working against company’s policies.
- He was negligent with work which could be easily seen with some examples such as restaurant was not being properly managed, employees were not being supervised as per the terms and conditions. He is using office appliance and assets for his own personal use. Furthermore he is consistently watching pornography at workplace in spite of clear instruction in receipt book of employees (Carruthers, et. al., 2014).
- Faisal could be fired on the basis of misapplication of his authority, failure to follow code of ethics, code of conduct, and professionalism.
- Bob has so many reasons for firing Faisal but one of the most is that he is being failed to comply with the terms of the contact and he was out on strike without any information.
4.2 Describe the employment exit procedures used by The Chicken Master and another organization of your choice?
Employment exit procedure is the way through which an employer can terminate employee contract in professional manner. When an employee is terminated there are number of factors which employer needs to consider in the case of Chicken master Bob has used the “Dismissal Route” Dismissal route is the process through which an employer can terminate the employee contract.
There are different dismissal route is given but the bob has used Constructive dismal process in order to terminate Faisal job (Luzzi & Sasson, 2016).
- Constructive Dismissal: - It is the process highly recommended when employees breach the conditions put in contracts. Bob dismissal the Faisal for his wrong doing and negligent behaviour toward the workplace. There is seen clear consistent breach of contract and conditions laid down. Bob could either fire the Faisal or ask him to resign from the job as soon as possible.
- Forced Resignation: - this is the process in which Bob could ask Faisal to apply for the resignation otherwise consecutively he will be fired for his unprofessional activates. This is the simple process which could be beneficial for both Bob and Faisal (Vishnevetsky, 2014).
4.3 Consider the impact of the legal and regulatory framework on employment cessation arrangements with an organization such as The Chicken Master if Faisal’s claim was proven to be true?
In chicken master restaurant there is a conflict between the Bob and Faisal. Faisal is being fired by bob on the basis of negligent behaviour and not complying with the code of conduct of the business. but in the given question it is seen that Faisal has raise a claim against the Bob that he is being fired on the basis of race and age discrimination. If Faisal’s claim is to be true than Bob has to face some legal and regulatory framework which could be detrimental for his business (Van der Klaauw & Van Ours, 2013). Employment legislation deals with different statue and body of law which assist to maintain clear and healthy relation between employer and employee. In case Faisal could use as shield all the right given under Equal Pay act 1970.
Equal pay act 1970 provides that there should be no discrimination between all the employees based on race, gender, cast, religion and so on. Otherwise there would be high penalty would be imposed including fine and imprisonment. If Faisal files a case against bob under employment tribunal then Bob and the matters raise in such a case are proved to be true then bob could be liable for either fine or imprisonment or both as per the situations. Employment legislation has passed different rules and regulation in order to provide safeguard against all the malpractice by employer. Bob in such case needs to hire a good lawyer in order to protect himself from the false statement (Cristy, 2010).
The wide variety of topics and subject matter given in this project report is worth full to understand the need of human resources management in an organization, Employees being the foundation in the process of achieving goals and objective should be managed with proper due diligence, I have come to the conclusion that human resource management is very critical and important practice. It helps organization to be cost effective. Motivational program, reduction in employee’s turnover, framing policies and rules in order to abide the internal culture is the key characteristics of HRM. In today’s world there is need to generate a good employees so that organization could phase with external environment therefor HRM helps organization by providing quality of employees and assist in keep them motivated for assigned work. Productivity and quality of work depends upon the employee’s performance but indirectly it is the outcome of consistent efforts of HRM department.
Allal-Chérif, O. 2014, "USING SERIOUS GAMES TO RECRUIT, INTEGRATE AND TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES: AN EXPLORATORY STUDY OF PRACTICES", European Scientific Journal, vol. 10 SE, pp. 283.
Atkinson, W. 2011, How to recruit and hire the best employees: one of the best ways to recruit is to utilize as many resources as applicable for each position, Penton Media, Inc., Penton Business Media, Inc. and their subsidiaries.
Calogero, K. 2011, "BECOME A FAN OF GOVERNMENT PROCUREMENT ON FACEBOOK: HOW THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT'S ACQUISITION WORKFORCE CAN USE SOCIAL NETWORKING WEBSITES TO RECRUIT NEW EMPLOYEES", Public Contract Law Journal, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 807-828.
Carruthers, E.C., Rogers, P., Backman, C.L., Goldsmith, C.H., Gignac, M.A., Marra, C., Village, J., Li, L.C., Esdaile, J.M. & Lacaille, D. 2014, ""Employment and arthritis: making it work" a randomized controlled trial evaluating an online program to help people with inflammatory arthritis maintain employment (study protocol)", BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 59-59.
Cesyniene, R. & Stankeviciene, A. 2012, "Impact of personnel/human resources management departments on the performance of Lithuanian enterprises ", Current Issues of Business and Law, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 437.
Cooper, C.L. & Robertson, I.T. 2015, Personnel psychology and human resource management: key topics for students and practitioners, Wiley-Blackwell.
Cristy, M. 2010, "The bankrupt's guide to employee benefits: terminating retirement plans in bankruptcy: in this article, Matt Cristy examines which retirement plans a company may terminate before or during a chapter 11 bankruptcy, the process of terminating retirement plans, the requirements the company must fulfill, and the possible timing", Journal of Pension Benefits, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 33.
De Gieter, S. & Hofmans, J. 2015, "How reward satisfaction affects employees’ turnover intentions and performance: an individual differences approach", Human Resource Management Journal, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 200-216.