Delivery in day(s): 5
In organization decision making enables the business manager to take plan and implement correct strategy or feasible action for the business (Munier, 2011). In the present business decision making assignment WM morrison supermarkets report business decision making tools and techniques are used for WM Morrison Supermarkets Plc to take decisions for their business. Company deals in food retail business and sells varieties of retail products, general items and currently has more than 500 supermarket stores in UK. In first of the report variety of different sources of data collection are used to assess the behavior and attitude of consumers of Morrison. Further in the next part, data analysis techniques are used to examine the collected data in effective manner. In third section with the help of spreadsheet, different information and knowledge are produced for the purpose of decision making and in last section, software were used for making decision in organization.
It is planned that primary and secondary method of data collection will be used for carrying out survey in the area of Greater London. This survey will be based on collection the relevant information from the customers regarding their behavior and attitude towards the Food Discount Retailing scheme of WM Morrison Supermarkets Plc.
Questionnaire for a survey into consumer behavior and attitudes towards Food Discount Retailing
Thank you for your cooperation
The responses were received from the target population through the survey into the consumer attitude and behavior towards food discount retailing. Out of total population 19% were between the age of 15-18 years, 35% between 18-28 years, 25% between 28-35 years and 21% were above the age of 35.
The following table shows the responses related to income group of population:
Income per month
Percentage of population
£1000 - 3000
£3000 - 5000
The responses relate to working status are as follows:
Percentage of population
There were 44% males and 56% females who responded. There were 41% married and 59% unmarried shoppers. 69% population used the food discount schemes and remaining 31% did not. While using the food discount schemes 46% used to shop 3 to 5 times at Morrison, 22% used to shop more than 5 times whereas 32% only 2 times. 74% believed that due to these schemes their expenditure at retail store has increased and the remaining 26% believed it has not.
The following table shows responses about how many people agree that food discount retailing schemes attract them to buy grocery products from retail store:
Calculation of measures of central tendency
The following is the calculation using responses about how many people agree that the discount schemes attract them to buy grocery products from retail stores:
Mean = 22+31+27+12+8/5
Median = n+1/2 th term (8, 12, 22, 27, 31)
=5+1/2 th term
= 3rd term
Mode = Highest value or frequency
From the analysis of responses received from the survey into the consumer attitude and behavior towards food discount v retailing schemes at retail stores and calculation of measures of central tendency from the data collected for generation of information for management of Win Morrison Supermarkets Plc., it can be concluded that most of the customers are satisfied with the food discount retailing schemes provided by existing retail stores at London. The average population that agrees that the discount schemes attract them to buy grocery products is 20. The middle value of the data when arranged in ascending order is 22 and the mode of 31 represent that the highest population of the data collected is 31 which represent the number of respondents who agree. This means that most of the population agrees that the main reason for increase in expenditure on grocery store and increase in buying of grocery products is the food discount retailing schemes at the retail stores.
Calculation of standard deviation as the measure of dispersion
Standard Deviation = √382/5
The standard deviation of 8.74 shows the risk of deviation of mean 20 from its path. Thus risk may deviate up to 8.74 on either side under the situations.
Quartile, percentile and correlation coefficient are useful in terms of business context, as this statistical measures help to draw some valid conclusion for the organizational purpose.
Conclusion: From the above graphs which were produced with the help of spreadsheet, it was concluded that sales revenue of the retailers were increasing from last five years. It was assessed that the all the four major retailer of UK are on the track of growth. Morrison has tough competition with the Sainsbury and on comparing their performance it was analyzed the sales of the company was higher in past five years (Gibson, 2011). On the other hand, other two retailers Lidl and Aldi have less sales revenue in compare to Morrison and Sainsbury. They are the small food retailers and not have any greater competition with the food and retail products sell by two major supermarket chain of UK. Graphs also shows that growth rate of Js Sainsbury’s and Wm Morrison are higher in compare to the other retailers (Andersen Dysvik and Vaagaasar, 2009). Increasing sales revenue of these companies depicts that in future also they will achieve higher sales revenue.
Calculation of forecasted sales
Y = 942.9x+13611
Y = 1111.4x+17781
Y = 13.02x + 147.04
Y = 826.9x + 694.7
Wm Morrison Plc.
Subject : To provide information about threat to discount food retailers and ways to respond. with them.
This report aims to provide the relevant information to the mangers of the company about the threats to the food retailers and the methods to deal. The information is based on the analysis and evaluation of data collected from survey.
There are different information processing tools which can be used by the Morrison in perspectives to operational, tactical and strategic decision such as:
The network diagram and determination of critical path is as follows:
The various routes or paths on the network diagram are as follows:
A-C-F-J = 12 days
A-D-G-J = 18 days
A-E-H-I-J = 22 days
B-H-I-J = 17 days
Critical path = Path with the longest duration
= (A-E-H-I-J = 22 days)
Thus the critical path of the project is A-E-H-I-J HAVING DURATION OF 22 DAYS.
Net Present Value: On the basis of net present value method, Morrison Supermarket Plc should consider the Project A for their business. This project has greater viability in compare to Project B as net present value of this project is greater and will bring higher cash flow for the company (Rodgers, 2007).
Internal Rate of Return: From this investment appraisal technique, projects which have higher IRR will be favorable for the Morrison (Koori, 2010). On analyzing the viability of the Projects A and B, it was assessed that Project A is feasible for the company and should select as most appropriate and profitable investment for their supermarket business. The IRR calculated using excels function is as follows:
From the above study it has been concluded that using of different decision making tools and techniques in the organization are very essential. It helps the management to take their valid decision by generating the information through different software and using of statistical tools. Application of these methods also helps in making the selection of right projects for the business.
Andersen, S. E., Dysvik, A. and Vaagaasar, L. A., 2009. Organizational rationality and project management . International Journal of Managing Projects in Business.2(4). pp.479 – 498.
Bang, C., 2011. Managerial Decision Making, The Essential Pocket Strategy Book.John Wiley & Sons.
Black, K., 2011. Business Statistics: For Contemporary Decision Making. John Wiley & Sons.
Gibson, A., 2011. Exposure and understanding the histogram.Peachpit press.
Gravetter, J. F. and Wallnau, B. L., 2009. Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences. Cengage Learning.
Hedgebeth, D., 2007. Data-driven decision making for the enterprise: an overview of business intelligence applications. VINE, 37(4). pp.414 - 420.
Kourdi, J., 2010. The Economist: Business Strategy: A Guide to Effective Decision-making. Profile Books.
unier, N., 2011. A Strategy for Using Multicriteria Analysis in Decision-Making: A Guide for Simple and Complex Environmental Projects. Springer Science & Business Media.
Rodgers, P., 2007. Commercial Awareness and Business Decision Making Skills: How to understand and analyse company financial information. Butterworth-Heinemann.
Saunders, M. et. al., 2006. Research Methods for Business Students, Harlow: Prentice Hall.
Sinclair, M. and Ashkanasy, N., 2005. Myth or a Decision-making Tool?.Management learning. 36(3). Pp. 353-370.
Walliman, N., 2011. Your Research Project: Designing and Planning Your Work. SAGE.
Wegner, T., 2010. Applied Business Statistics: Methods and Excel-Based Applications. 2nd ed. Juta and Company Ltd
Williams, S., 2011. Making Better Business Decisions: Understanding and Improving Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Skills,SAGE.
Internal rate of return. 2011. [Online]. Available through: http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Internal_rate_of_return.html> [Accessed on 28th November 2014].