Delivery in day(s): 5
Unit 3 Leadership Styles in Organizations Behavior Assignment – Capco
Organizational behavior is an approach which defines the perspective of the individual and group towards the organization. Unit 3 leadership styles in organizations behavior assignment capco explains the quality of the interactions in the organization within people.The study of organizational behavior helps to increase the productivity of the company by managing the perspective of the human resources. In this study it is explained how the organizational culture has an impact on the structure of the organization.The report states the various styles of leadership and their effectiveness in the organization. Theories of motivation and their relationship with the leadership will be analyzed in the study. It is important for every company to have effective leadership in the organization to increase the performance of the employees by motivating them.The leadership defines the level of performance in the organization. We will study about the role of formation of group and team to complete the tasks in effective manner.The integrated relationship between these all activities will be discussed in the following report.
1.1 Compare and contrast CAPCO’s structure and culture with another organization of your choice. Show the differences and similarities in these two organizations.
The organizations are complex and difficult to manage if there is no organizational structure. In today’s business environment where there exist globalization, privatization and liberalization, it becomes more difficult to effectively run any organization and manage all the activities of the organization without facing complexities in it.Organizational structure provides a framework and level of hierarchy which makes an effective method to execute all the activities. There are different types of organizational structure with different features. These structures are function based, line and staff, centralized and decentralized, product based, matrix, project based (Islam & Hasan et. al 2015).
CAPCO is an organization providing financial services worldwide. It has employed a huge number of employees across the globe.The company manages its employees in effective mannerby its efficient organizational structure.The company has a matrix structure of organization in which tasks and activities are completed and managed as projects. Every project is completed by taking different employees and different level of hierarchy. It is changed by the completion of the project. The company uses tall structure of hierarchy which includes layers of management for smooth running of the activities in the organization.This structure of the organization increases the level of motivation and involvement of the employees in the organizational growth. The organizational culture works as a back bone or support system for the organizational structure. Selection of the organizational structure is inspired by the culture of the organization.The culture of the company provides atmosphere which provides opportunities for personal growth by adopting innovations and entrepreneurs (Islam & Hasan et. al 2015).
Wal-Mart one of the biggest retail chain of the world. The organizational structure of the company is hierarchical function based organizational structure. In which the flow of information and communication is vertical. Superiors are appointed on every level which ensures the monitoring of the activities. This structure is complex and supports the centralization of the organization.Communication is complex and lengthy process in these organizational structures. The culture of the company is focused on the customers. All the activities of the company are targeted to maximizing the profit bysatisfyingthe customers. The culture influences the structure of the company.The difference between both the companies isthat the structure of CAPCO is influenced with the decentralized and matrix organization whereas in the Wall-mart there is a vertical hierarchal functional organizational structure. And the culture is also different as in CAPCO and Wall-Mart is companies of different sectors having different goals and objectives to be achieved (Wagner, & DUQuE et. al 2014).
1.2 Explain how the relationship between CAPCO’s structure and culture can impact on the performance of its operations.
The relationship between organizational structure and culture helps to increase the productivity of any company by giving a set framework to be followed to take the efforts in the direction of achieving the goals and objectives. The corporate culture defines the perception of the company towards the meaning of the growth. Structure of the company is executed by considering the requirement of the culture. Structure of the organization is the factor which makes the execution of the company complex or smooth.The level of effective corporate culture and structure leads to increase in the productivity. The impacts are explained as follows (Emmett S. & Crocker 2016).
- The organization’s culture like collective approach towards the organization in which the overall benefits are considered in the activities and personal benefits are secondary. This approach of employees helps to increase their engagement in the company and enhance their performance.
- The structure of the organization provides a framework which guides all the activities in effective manner and reduces chances of confusion. This helps to proper utilization of resources like money, time, human resource etc.
- The organization structure and culture set a code of conduct to make the employees clear about the requirements and do’s and don’ts in their working behavior.
- The communication and flow of information depends on the organization’s structure and delegation of authorities and responsibilities also depends on the structure of the organization.This is required for smooth running of activities.
- The culture of the company helps to maintain ethical behavior in the organization and reduces any illegal activities and frauds. This helps to make goodwill in the market and increase the profitability of the company (Emmett S. & Crocker 2016).
1.3 Discuss the factors which influence individual behavior in CAPCO or in any organization of your choice.
The behavior of individuals can be defined as the way of interaction with others and handling any situation in the organization. Individual behavior makes an impact on the effectiveness of the working environment which may be positive or negative. In the company like CAPCO there are many factors which influence the individual behavior; we can divide them into three categories which are as follows (Lendrum, T. 2011).
- Personal factors: Personal factors are those which are related to the general characteristics of an individual and can be driven from genetics or inherited. These characteristics differentiate the personalities of individuals. Personal factors includes in it physical characteristics, age, gender, religion, intelligence and experience, physical and intellectual ability, perception, attitude and values of individual. These factors define the manner in which the individual work in the organization which ultimately makes an impact on his performance.
- Environmental factors: These are the factors emerged from the environment of the organization which effect the individual behavior in positive or negative manner. The environmental factors include economic factors like economic cycle, job opportunities, technological position, wage rate etc. Social, political and legal environment is also included in it. The positive environmental factors make positive individual behavior in the organization.
- Organizational factors: Organizational factors are those which are related to the working environment of organization. It includes in it the working culture, policies, structure, level of leadership and motivation, and structure of rewards and compensation. These factors are very important for the organization and define the individual behavior towards the organization (Montani, & Battistelli et. al 2014).
2.1 Compare the effectiveness of the different leaderships at CAPCO and any other organization of your choice.
Leadership is the process or approach which leads all the activities of the employees in the direction of achieving the goals and objectives. It is the ability to influence someone to do the work accurately and effectively. There are different types of leadership style making different impacts on the organization which are as follows (M. Taylor & Colvin et. al 2014).
- Autocratic leadership effects: Autocratic leadership is the contemporary style of leadership which separates the employer and the employees. Employees are liable to do as directed by the employer and do not have any participation in the decision making of the company. This style is focused on the follower’s approach and the employees are unable to engage with the organization and its growth.The employee turnover is high in this type of leadership style.
- Participative leadership effects: In this style of leadership the employer ensures the participation of the employees in the decision making process. The feedbacks, suggestions and ideas are considered in while taking decisions. This is democratic approach of leadership and helps to increase the involvement of the employees in the organization by ensuring their roles. This style of leadership is atool for motivating the employees.
- Democratic leadership effect: In this style of leadership the leader delegated the authority and decision making power to a group of employees for execution of a particular task and let them use their efficiency. This style usually makes positive effects on the organization by increasing the performance and loyalty of the employees, but this style increases the confusion of distribution of authorities and makes the structure complex of the organization (Hamstra & Sassenberg et. al 2011).
- Situational leadership effects: The leadership methods in this style are flexible and can be altered according to the requirement of the situation. This is a mixed style of leadership. This style of leadership helps to cope up with the changes in the environment and conditions. Situations are analyzed before choosing the style of leadership. This is a complex style of leadership.
2.2 Explain how organizational theories (e.g. scientific management and human relations theory) have had influence on the practice of management.
Organizational theories are helpful to identify the most suitable structure for the organization and set a mechanism for solving the issues emerged in the organization. These theories are the foundation which ensures the significance of the activities in the direction of achieving the goals and objectives. There are different theories which make an impact on then management practices.The following are the organizational theories with their impact on the practice of management (Vaidya, K. 2012).
- Scientific management theory: The scientific management theory is like strategic management in which the decisions are taken by analyzing the situation by techniques and methods. In organizational behavior the scientific approach is adopted to take most suitable and effective decisions which increase the quality of the management practices. The performance is enhanced by ensuring that the management is strong and futuristic to cope up with all the critical situations.
- Human relation theory: This theory of organizational behavior the role of the human relations are focused and marked important. This approach rejects the classical approach of managing relations by hierarchy of authorities in the organization. This provides a framework in which employees are treated as essential asset of the organization. This theory works as a booster for increasing the motivation in the employees to give their level best of work because they find adjustable and positive environment to work. So management practices have a positive impact of this approach.
- Conflict approach: This theory is focused on the mechanism of handling of conflicts in the organization which influence the management practices. If the conflicts are not properly solved then the complexity will be increased for effective management of the activities and practices in the organization. Organizing employee and workers association and committees are ways to effective redress the conflicts which increase the quality of the management (Vaidya, K. 2012).
- System approach: This is the integration of the scientific and human relation approach. This approach focuses on both effective decision making and healthy human relations in the organization.This approach adopts both collective and individual approach towards the growth.This helps to manage the practices and activities in effective manner.
- Contingency approach: According to this approach the structure and management practices should be adopted according to the situations requirement by analyzing them. This increases the effectiveness of the management practices.
2.3 Evaluate the different approaches to management used by CAPCO and your chosen organization.
Management approaches are used to support the structure and culture of the company and influence by them. There are different approaches to management of practices which have different features and qualities. Organizationschoose those approaches which are the most suitable for their vision and mission statement.In the company like CAPCO which is providing financial services around the globe management approach plays an important role.The company has a flat structure in which there are very few levels of hierarchy. The company’sculture focuses on the integrity, individuality and openness in the environment.The approaches are chosen by considering these requirements to be fulfilled (Manuj & Stank et. al 2014).
CAPCO is using approach of division of labor in which the company can design the structure by using specialization, diversification, chain of command, centralization and decentralization, and span of control. An integrated approach towards the management is using in the company in which both the approaches, classical and human relation is covered. Classical or scientific approach is adopted to take most suitable decisions in the company and maintain a small hierarchal atmosphere to maintain discipline. And human relation approach is adapted to increase the positivity in the working environment by providing freedom, flexibility, personal development opportunities and experience and learning. Contingency approach is also used in the company which ensures that the organizational structure and culture should be appropriate to handle any situation in the company. This approach makes the structure and culture flexible towards the situations which helps to cope up with the changes in the environment and increases the effectiveness of the management practices. This approach is a solution for the resistance to change (Manuj & Stank et. al 2014).
3.1 Discuss the impact that different leadership styles may have on motivation within period of change.
In the organizations leadership is like a tool for improving the quality and quantity of the production. Leadership helps to target the activities in the direction of achieving goals and objectives. Leadership ultimately makes an impact on the employee motivation. Leadership and motivation has direct relationship as in effective leadership leads to high motivation and vice versa. There are different styles of leadership which have different impacts on the employee motivation (Zareen & Mujtaba et. al 2015).
- Autocratic leadership style: is a classical approach in which the employer or leader neglects the role of employees in the decision making process. This approach is used in the organizations where there is a fast decision making process and no involvement of the employees in the organizational objectives. This approach makes negative impact on the employee motivation because there is lack of engagement of the employees in the company and no participation. This leads to high employee turnover.
- Democratic leadership: is the approach which ensures the involvement of employees in the decision making process.This approach of leadership makes positive impact on the employee motivation. CAPCO uses this approach of leadership to give freedom and powers to the employees to take benefits of their abilities and innovative skills. When the employee identifies its importance in the organizational decision he starts to give his level best in work and engages in the company’s growth.
- Transformational or charismatic style of leadership: is a futuristic approach of leadership and helps to manage the employees for future challenges. This increases the certainty in the organization. It can be treated as the strategic decision making by analyzing or predicting. The employees get motivated by this approach and get involved with the company’s growth(Buble & Matic et. al 2014).
3.2 Compare the application of two motivational theories (e.g. Maslow’s & Herzberg theories) within organizational setting.
There are different theories of motivation which is used for motivating the employees in organization. Organizations analyze the pros and cons of these theories and then choose the most suitable for that particular company.Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, Herzberg’s two factor theory, Alderfer’s ERG theory, Expectancy theory, and equity theory are the well-known and used theories of motivation. We will compare two theories of motivation within organization (Szalma, J.L. 2014).
Comparison of Maslow’s and Herzberg’s theory of motivation-
Nature of theory
Maslow’s theory is focused on the relationship between the human needs and satisfaction. And the way it motivates the employees in organization.
The theory of Herzberg there are defined motivator factors which helps to motivate employees in organization.
Nature of theory
The theory is based on the hierarchy of needs which is prioritized. The approach is simple and is based on the experience.
In this theory there are defined some factors which are the motivators and by satisfying them employees can be motivated. This is based on the primary data not by the experience.
Applicability of theory
This theory is applicable where the value of the money works as a motivation. This approach can be used by organizations of any size.
This theory is applicable only in huge capital companies and developed countries.
Scope of theory
This theory is descriptive and has a wide scope.
This theory is perspective and has narrow scope.
According to this theory once the need is satisfied then it stops work as a motivator.
In this theory the factors, other than hygiene factors work as motivator.
3.3 Evaluate the usefulness of a motivation theory for managers.
Managers are the authorities for management of the employees and their activities. The role of managers is to maximizing the performance of the employees by motivating them. Motivation is very useful for managers as in it helps to make the employees work in a way which leads to increase in the profitability. Managers use motivation to execute the process of human resource management in effective manner. Importance of motivation for managers is defined as follows (Miner, J.B. 2015).
- Increase in the efficiency: Motivation helps to increase the efficiency of the employees by boosting their ability and willingness which tends to increase in the productivity and reduces the cost of production. Managers achieve their goals by the increased efficiency of the employees. Motivation increases the level of involvement of employees in the organization which ultimately enhances the employee performance.
- Effective communication: High motivation increases the involvement of employees in the organization. Employees and managers communicate frequently and friendly. By this chances of miscommunication is reduces and effective communication increases. The activities are directed towards the goals of the organization. It becomes time and cost effective. Communication must be clear and effe3ctive to increase the quality of the performance.
- Framework for effective motivation: The motivation theories have their features, pros and cons. Managers can analyze them and choose the most suitable for the organization which will motivate the employees of that particular organization (Miner, J.B. 2015).
- Employee retention and loyalty: Managers can maintain high employee retention and loyalty by motivating them with different motivational theories. By using motivational theories managers can maintain stability in the organization.The employee retention and retention helps to make goodwill of the organization in the market. Managers can motivate by increasing the involvement of employees in the company and take benefit of low employee turnover.
4.1 Explain the nature of groups and group behavior within CAPCO or your chosen organization.
Groups are collection of two or more people with similar characteristics and same objectives interacting or doing activities with each other. In organizations like CAPCO which providing financial services around the world there are formed different types of groups with employees to complete a particular task of purpose. There are different types of groups can be formed in a organization. Formal or informal groups are two types of groups (Zhang & Wang et. al 2011).
Formal groups are executed systematically to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization. Responsibilities and authorities are delegated in the members of the group to execute the task in smooth and effective manner.There exists formal communication in these types of groups. These groups are formed to achieve the goals and targets in better way and effectively. In CAPCO there are many formal groups are executed which provides freedom to the employees for their innovative activities and ideas execution. The decision making power is delegated which increases the involvement of the employees in the organization and increase their performance.Informal groups are formed to satisfy the personal social needs of the employees, in which informal groups provide them facility to interact with each other and developing personal relationships.Employees get moral support and develop healthy and positive environment.
Group behavior in organization is the key element for the effectiveness of the group. The effective communication, efficient leadership, a well-designed framework of activities and the most important effective teamwork are the basis which defines the group behavior. There should be proper delegation of tasks, powers and duties in the group. The clear communication about the roles and objectives of the execution of group is delivered to all the members of the group with their roles (Zhang & Wang et. al 2011).
4.2 Discuss factors that may promote or inhibit the development of effective teamwork within CAPCO or your chosen organization.
In the organization like CAPCO the teamwork is very important as in it increases effectiveness in the performance of employees. There are some factors which should be considered for improving the working of teamwork.
- Clear objectives: The objectives of execution of team must be clearly stated to the team members. This helps to reduce any miscommunication and leads all the activities in the direction of achieving goals. This increases the effectiveness of teamwork.
- Allotment of tasks: There are many members in a team and a range of tasks. It must be ensured that tasks must be allocated by taking the benefits of specialization. Right task must be given to theeligible team member. This effective allocation of tasks enables increase in the performance (West, M.A. 2012).
- Effective leadership: Leadership is the process of leading the activities of subordinates. In every team there is defined a team leader who is liable for the activities of the team and its members.The leader must have qualities to manage the team members and their tasks. Effective leadership generates more productivity and helps to achieve the goals of team.
- Feedback: Feedbacks help to evaluate the performance of the team and also identify any gap in the activities and the set standards or objects to be achieved. Feedback helps to resolve any problem in the team.
4.3 Evaluate the impact of technology on team functioning within CAPCO or your chosen organization.
Use of technology helps to increase the quality of the performance of team.It accelerates the speed of the activities in team.Adopting the latest technologies in the team leads to quality results.CAPCO is using the technologies in the functioning of team.The technology is useful in the following manner (Palamaro Munsell & Strompolis et. al 2011).
- Technologies like email, mobile phones, and computers make it possible to execute the team work in effective manner.It is a way to smoothly execute the activities of the team.
- The use of technology gives speed to the execution of the activities.
- The quality of the activities is improved by the use of technology.
- The tasks are allocated effectively in the team by using technology and help to reduce the duplication of the work and also help to coordinate the activities in the team.
- Using latest technologies reduces the cost and time consumed in execution of the activities.
So now we can state that the technological aspect is very important role for the execution of the teamwork and nowadays it is very important to use these technologies for the completion of activities in the team (Palamaro Munsell & Strompolis et. al 2011).
In the study we have analyzed the various types of organizational structure and culture and their impact on the management of the practices.The culture of organization makes positive or negative impact on the performance. The factors like environmental, social and economic influence the individual behavior in organization. We have also identifies the impact of the leadership and different types and styles of leadership in organization. A comparative study of different theories of motivation is done and identified the use of the approaches. The relationship between leadership and motivation is analyzed. The effective leadership makes a positive effect on the employee motivation. The role of group and teamwork is also studied and impact of the technology on teamwork is identified. Formation of groups and teams gives the organization and its employees to enhance the quality of the performance and ensures that there is given freedom and opportunities to generate innovative ideas for the growth of the company.So now we can conclude that in organization there is an important role of the structure and culture and the way leadership and motivation helps to achieve the set goal and objectives. The study explains the importance of group and team formation to effectively execute the performance.
Buble, M., Juras, A. & Matic, I. 2014, "The relationship between managers' leadership styles and motivation, Management: Journal of Contemporary Management Issues , vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 161.
Emmett, S. & Crocker, B. 2016;2007;2006;, The Relationship-Driven Supply Chain: Creating a Culture of Collaboration throughout the Chain, Gower, Farnham.
Furnham, A. 2005, The psychology of behaviour at work: the individual in the organisation, 2nd edn, Psychology Press, New York, NY.
Hamstra, M.R.W., Van Yperen, N.W., Wisse, B. & Sassenberg, K. 2011, "Transformational-Transactional Leadership Styles and Followers’ Regulatory Focus: Fit Reduces Followers’ Turnover Intentions", Journal of Personnel Psychology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 182-186.
Islam, M.Z., Jasimuddin, S.M. & Hasan, I. 2015, "Organizational culture, structure, technology infrastructure and knowledge sharing", VINE, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 67-88.
Lendrum, T. 2011, Building high performance business relationships: rescue, improve and transform your most valuable assets, John Wiley, Richmond, Vic.
M. Taylor, C., J. Cornelius, C. & Colvin, K. 2014, "Visionary leadership and its relationship to organizational effectiveness", Leadership & Organization Development Journal, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 566-583.
Manuj, I., Esper, T.L. & Stank, T.P. 2014, "Supply Chain Risk Management Approaches Under Different Conditions of Risk", Journal of Business Logistics, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 241-258.
Miner, J.B. 2005;2006;2015;, Organizational Behavior 1 : Essential Theories of Motivation and Leadership, M.E. Sharpe, Inc, Armonk.
Montani, F., Odoardi, C. & Battistelli, A. 2014, "Individual and contextual determinants of innovative work behaviour: Proactive goal generation matters", Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 645-670.