Delivery in day(s): 5
Unit 11 Research Project Assignment – ASDA
Employee turnover is the main concern of every company and employees are the one who help them out in achieving their set targets by completing the assigned tasks. This Unit 11 Research Project Assignment ASDA focused on the Impact of Employee Turnover at ASDA company. They try their level best to minimise the ratio of their employee turnover. In order to reduce the rate of employee turnover it is necessary to keep motivating them in adequate manner. Like in the same way ASDA is performing their activities in such a manner in order to motivate their employees so that they become capable enough to retain them in adequate manner. Once employees get motivated and satisfied they remain with organisation and continue their working with leading them (Butler, 2014).
Research Aim: The aim of this research study is to evaluate the impact of employee turnover at ASDA.
Research Objectives: There are few set of objectives need to attain to reach out the research aim such as:
- Need to evaluate whether the employees of ASDS are satisfied or not?
- Measure the benefits rendered by the management to their employees at ASDA? (Lewis, et. al., 2012)
1.1 Identify the factors that contribute to the process of Research project selection
There are various factors that make adequate level of contribution in the process of research project selection: -
- Purpose of study: This study is processed in order to make evaluation of the employee turnover impact on ASDA. ASDA is retail chain and if their employee turnover is high then there is a possibility that they lose out their market share and become not able to earn adequate profits with the help of their operations and vice-versa. It is essentially needed that management have to take care of their employees and motivate them in effectively to reduce their employee turnover ratio. Motivated employees become satisfied and remain with the organisation in order to perform their activities in adequate manner (Lewis, et. al., 2012).
- Methodology: To process the research study there are various tools, methods and techniques get utilised in order to make data collection, data analysis and evaluation and data representation. It became important to make adequate selection of the methods or tools so that research study gets supported in adequate manner by processing in systematic and authentic manner (Bach & Edwards, 2013).
1.2 Critical Review
Undertake a critical review of key references
- Relevant literature: Employee turnover means total number or percentage of such employees who left organisation or get replaced by new employees. The increase in employee turnover becomes major problem in front of organisational management and they need to focus over issues. ASDA having low rate of employee turnover as they effectively take care of their employees.
- Methodology: There are various methods and techniques are utilised for the purpose of data collection and its analysis. Data is gathered and analysed in adequate manner so that required and exact information is extracted from it (Bach & Edwards, 2013).
- Limitations: The barriers which stop the progress of the research study are considered as the limitation. There are various limitations associated with the research study such as time period, limited available resources, limited financial resources and many more.
- Research plan or Action plan: Set of activities arranged in sequence along with the time required is termed as research plan or action plan so that research study gets executed well on time (Mendy, 2012).
- Analysis: Gathered data must get analysed so that required information is extracted from it. Different set of information is gathered from different sources and by making analysis over it useful information is taken out from it.
- Findings and conclusion: Findings are the gathered data which get analysed adequately in order to render some useful information in context to research study. Conclusion is the part where whole discussion gets concluded in adequate manner or it represents the whole study in summarised form (Mendy, 2012).
Literature review: The situation when potential employee leave the organisation due to the lack of growth opportunities, inadequate utilisation of his/her capabilities, inadequate remuneration, conflicts with staff members, etc. put adverse impact over the organisational functionality. This situation is termed as employee turnover as they leave the organisation or get replaced by the new employees. Some employee turnover is beneficial for the organisation as ineffective or lack of potential employees gets replaced by the new potential employees. Employee turnover is of four types an each type having their own effective impact over the organisation (FitzRoy, et. al., 2012). Below the four types of employee turnover such as: -
- Voluntary employee turnover: As per this type of turnover employees make resign from the organisation as they feel that there is no such attractive growth opportunities for them in order to grow, they found that their capabilities or potential is not utilised properly by them in order to perform their work, they didn’t found any challenge in performing their activities and many more. Company face loss of potential employee who is much capable to perform activities in effective manner (FitzRoy, et. al., 2012).
- Involuntary employee turnover: As per this type of turnover employees get replaced by the management itself as they found that employee is not performing well or he/she is a poor performer and not meet the required set standard of the organisation. Organisation makes effective decision in order to replace the ineffective employee and get benefited with it (FitzRoy, et. al., 2012).
- Functional employee turnover: As per this type of turnover employees get discharged by the management due to their poor performance or inadequate support to the organisation. Organisation somewhat become beneficial as they hire new and skilled employee in the place of that employee.
- Dysfunctional employee turnover: As per this type of turnover potential employees leave the organisation due to lack of adequate level of opportunities, or they get attractive job opportunity outside the organisation. This employee turnover put adverse impact over the organisation as they lose their potential employee (FitzRoy, et. al., 2012).
ASDA take care of their employees and render them effective opportunities in context to growth, revenues, etc. There are some figures which shows that ASDA is rendering adequate support to their employees and render them adequate level of job opportunities such as:
- There is adequate increase in the ratio of such employees who are with them from last 5-6 years. The ratio is increased by 10%.
- They maintain record retention rate with them which shows that they effectively manage their employees by providing them adequate revenues and growth opportunities.
- They make their employee satisfy by rendering adequate level of support to them and the rate remains high (Hutchinson, et. al., 2015).
- Due to long hierarchy they provide adequate level of growth opportunities to their employees in order to attain effective growth with them.
- They attain a huge group of employees around 77,000 employees that are working with them from last 5-6 years which is a great achievement by them.
- Their workforce is most experienced workforce in UK as their employees having an average experience of 5 years with them only (Hutchinson, et. al., 2015).
With the help of these figures and facts it is clearly observed that ASDA get adequate level of benefits with the help of their employees. As they take care of their employees, motivate them in adequate manner and try to satisfy their needs well on time help them a lot in attaining an adequate workforce of satisfied employees. This led to reduce the factor of employee turnover and didn’t put any adverse impact over their functionality (Hutchinson, et. al., 2015).
1.3 Project Specification and Action Plan
Formulate and record possible research project outline specifications:
Introduction: Employee turnover means the number of employees leave the job or get replaced by the new employees. There are different kind of employee turnover such as voluntary turnover, involuntary turnover, functional turnover and dysfunctional turnover. These different types of turnover having different kind of impact over the ASDA functionality such as voluntary turnover is situation when employee voluntary chose resigning from the job due to more attractive job offering, conflict with staff members, etc. On the other hand involuntary turnover is the situation when employer discharges their employee due to poor performance, staff conflict, etc (Niemeier, et. al., 2013). The other type of turnover is functional turnover it is such situation when employee leaves organisation due to low performance. On the other hand dysfunctional turnover is such situation when high-performing employees leave organisation due to attractive job opportunities, or lack of adequate job opportunity within existing company, etc. It is concluded that voluntary and dysfunctional turnover is not favourable for the organisation as they miss out to satisfy the need of the employees on the other hand involuntary and functional turnover is favourable as they get rid out of the non-performing employees and give chance to more deserving performer (Niemeier, et. al., 2013).
- Problem Statement: ASDA is one of the leading retail stores in UK. They are effectively performing their activities in order to attain growth and remain competitive with their competitors. With the help of the research study it is measured that what is the impact of employee turnover at ASDA. Employee turnover impact in both ways such as low employee turnover helps in performing in effective manner on the other hand high employee turnover impact their functionality adversely (Niemeier, et. al., 2013).
- Significance: The significance of study that it helps in knowing the benefits of the low employee turnover as well as help in getting knowing that what are the factors contributing in minimising the employee turnover. It helps in knowing the facilities or benefits rendered by the ASDA in order motivate or satisfy their employee’s need (Niemeier, et. al., 2013).
- Research methodology: Under this section various methods and techniques are utilised for the purpose of data collection and its analysis. Gathered and analysed information is presented in the form of table and graphs, so that it gets represented in effective manner and users understand the information easily (P & Bellamy, 2012).
- Research Methods: There are various methods are available such as mono method, mixed method and multi method. For this research study mixed method is considered as this method provide facility of making use of qualitative as well as quantitative approach for the purpose of gathering information. With this effect mixed information such as theoretical and statistical information is gathered in adequate manner (P & Bellamy, 2012).
- Data collection: Data is collection from the various sources with the use of various techniques and approvals. In order to collect the new and fresh data primary sources are utilised effectively and by conducting surveys or interviews, etc. information is gathered in effective manner. Required approvals and permissions are taken in order to gather the data from the secondary sources such as offices, articles, websites, etc (Mackey &Gass, 2015).
- Ethical consideration: There are various ethics are associated with the research study which need to be followed at the time of processing such as took required approvals from the authorised bodies, gathered the data from the trustworthy sources only, to be honest while using data (as don’t make any manipulation in the data), citation are essentially required for the purpose of making data ethical, etc. These factors must be followed in order to maintain adequate level of ethical consideration (Noble &Bestley, 2011).
- Limitations: The barriers which stop the progress of the research study are considered as the limitation. There are various limitations associated with the research study such as time period, limited available resources, limited financial resources and many more. These limitations put adequate impact over the research study and it became very important to process the activities accordingly (Habib, et. al., 2014).
1.4 Provide an appropriate plan and procedures for the agreed research specification.
Select research topic and gather relevant information
Target population and gather all required approvals
Collect information from different sources and make analysis of it.
Prepare report of analysed information
Make conclusion, discussion and submission
Task 2: Implementation of the research project
2.1 Match resources efficiently to the research question or hypothesis (Research questions)
There is adequate level of questions set for getting the adequate level of information with the use of this research study such as:
- Will ASDA lose their market share with the decrease in their employee turnover?
- Is profit earning capacity getting affected with the increase in employee turnover?
- Is ASDA fail to fulfil the need of employees? (Niemeier, et. al., 2013)
Answers of set research questions with the help of gathered information
With the help of the literature review and other findings these set questions get answered in adequate manner such as:
Will ASDA lose their market share with the decrease in their employee turnover?
No, ASDA will not lose their market share if they attain minimum employee turnover ratio. Employees are the one that help the management to attain their set targets and when management having adequate set of quality as well as skilled labour force then they easily meet out their targets and achieve adequate market share in their respective market (Niemeier, et. al., 2013).
Is profit earning capacity getting affected with the increase in employee turnover?
Yes the capacity of profit earning gets affected badly with the increase in their employee turnover. Due to high employee turnover they are not able to perform their operational activities in effective manner due to which they don’t able to get their set objectives and fail to achieve profits.
Is ASDA fail to fulfil the need of employees?
No, ASDA is not failing in fulfilling the needs of their employees. Low employee turnover ratio is the best example for it that management adequately fulfil the need of their employees and make them satisfied in effective manner (Niemeier, et. al., 2013).
2.2 Undertake the proposed research investigation in accordance with the agreed specification and procedures
Two types of data get proposed for the purpose of research investigation such as:
- Primary data: When researcher makes data collection from the market and the nature of data is raw and fresh related to current trend is termed as primary data. Due to the raw nature it makes demand for adequate analysis and evaluation before utilising for the research purpose. In this research study the primary source is the employee’s reviews which are gathered with the help of the survey utilising questionnaire. This data is huge in the numbers and with this effect it is not easy to analyse whole data (Habib, et. al., 2014).
- Secondary data: The data available on the website design and development, journals, reports and many more related to early research in context to the research topic. These information having secondary nature as these get research already along with analysis and evaluation of the data gathered. These information having quality nature in it which help them in making direct use of information for the research purpose (Habib, et. al., 2014).
2.3 Record and collate relevant data where appropriate
The data is gathered with the use of the questionnaire in the survey program. Survey is conducted over ASDA and their employees are considered as the targeted population in context to the research study. Total 50 employees are targeted in order to conduct survey and gather information from them.
Sampling: In order to make analysis of the gathered data it is not possible to analyse the whole gathered data due to shortage of time period. Random sampling method is utilised for the purpose of taking adequate sample size from the gathered information. 20 responses is set as the sample size (Habib, et. al., 2014).
Name of respondents:
You are satisfied with the environment of ASDA.
You are getting adequate remuneration against your job.
You are completely enjoying your job.
Your supervisor’s are very helpful and treat your well.
Management provide adequate rewards and recognition against your hard work and accuracy.
Your work gets impacted with the personal life issues.
Management of ASDA is lacking and no system is followed for hiring and firing employees.
ASDA is lacking over motivating their employees.
There is lack of growth opportunity in ASDA.
ASDA is paying high revenues and incentives to their employees in order to motivate them.
About questionnaire:Likert’s scale questionnaire is utilised for this research analysis. This method helps in getting the reviews from the employees of the ASDA. It didn’t make any pressure over the employees in order to make forceful answers against the asked questions. They make their answers within the range rendered by the employees of ASDA (Noble &Bestley, 2011).
Task 3: Evaluation of the research
3.1 Application of appropriate research evaluation techniques
There are few techniques available in order to get utilised for the purpose of evaluation such as:
- Systematic peer review: With the use of this technique it is required to collect information from the peer’s and then make review over it in order to extract adequate level of information. This technique requires lots of time duration.
- Evaluation of Surveys: This technique get utilised when information is gathered by conducting survey. Time required is depending over the size of the information gathered (Noble &Bestley, 2011).
- Biblio-metric analysis: This technique makes evaluation of the journals, articles, books and other reports in order to extract the set of required information in adequate manner. These sources helps in getting information related to current trend.
- Case study analysis: This techniques emphasis over analysing different case studies in order to get the required information for the purpose of supporting research study in adequate manner (Noble &Bestley, 2011).
For this research study purpose “evaluation of surveys” technique is utilised for the purpose of making evaluation of the gathered information. Survey is conducted by the researcher in order to gather information and then this technique is utilised by them in order to make data analysis of that gathered information (Mackey &Gass, 2015).
3.2 Interpretation and analysis of the results in terms of the original research specification
Below is the analysis of the gathered information with the use of the questionnaire in the survey program. Around 50 employees of ASDA is targeted in order to conduct survey out of which 20 responses are utilised for the analysis and evaluation purpose such as:
Table 1: You are satisfied with the environment of ASDA.
Analysis: The responses made by the employees of ASDA shows that they are much satisfied with the environment of the ASDA in order to perform their job. (Cox, et. al., 2012)
Table 2: You are getting adequate remuneration against your job.
Analysis: Majority of the employees of the ASDA share their views that they get effective remuneration from the ASDA. The effective remuneration helps them in getting satisfied and keep them motivating in order to remain with ASDA and attain growth (Cox, et. al., 2012).
Table 3: You are completely enjoying your job.
Analysis: As per the responses made by the employees of the ASDA it is clearly observed that majority of them enjoying their job as they are getting effective remuneration against their job done (Tatham, 2012).
Table 4: Your supervisor’s are very helpful and treat your well.
Analysis: The employees of the ASDA share the view that they get adequate level of support from their supervisors. Their supervisors help them out in order to perform the activities in adequate manner so that they execute their assigned task in adequate manner (Tatham, 2012).
Table 5: Management provide adequate rewards and recognition against your hard work and accuracy.
Analysis: Majority of the employees share their reviews against the statement made that they get adequate share of rewards and recognition against their job done. They stated that they get equally share and fair rewards against their job done (Topcu&Basim, 2015).
Table 6: Your work gets impacted with the personal life issues.
Analysis: Majority of the staff members get agreed with the statement made as their professional work or professional life get impacted with the effect of their personal issues. Their performing gets impacted adversely as due to their personal issues because they lack their focus in order to perform their activities in adequate manner (Topcu&Basim, 2015).
Table 7: Management of ASDA is lacking and no system is followed for hiring and firing employees.
Analysis: Majority of the ASDA employees is not agreed with the statement as there is adequate as well as effective system is implemented by the ASDA management for the purpose of hiring as well as firing their employees. They hire the skilled employees in order to enhance the quality of work and fire such employees who are not following the organisational policies and lacking in doing proper functioning (Bounds, 2015).
Table 8: ASDA is lacking over motivating their employees.
Analysis: This statement is fully disagreed by the employees of the ASDA as they feel that they get adequate share of benefits in order to get motivated. Their management focus over rewarding their employees in adequate manner for the work performed by them and render adequate support level of support that are not able to perform due to some reasons (Bounds, 2015).
Table 9: There is lack of growth opportunity in ASDA.
Analysis: Against this statement majority of the employees of ASDA shows disagreement as they stated that they get adequate growth opportunity in the ASDA. For growth ASDA render them equal and effective job opportunities for their employees in order to attain adequate level of growth with ASDA (Trebble, et. al., 2014).
Table 10: ASDA is paying high revenues and incentives to their employees in order to motivate them.
Analysis: ASDA is rendering their employees high incentives and revenues against their job performed and with this statement majority of the employees get agreed. They stated that their performance gets evaluated fairly and effectively by the management and on this basis of it they get adequate share of revenues (Trebble, et. al., 2014).
3.3 Recommendation and justification for areas for further research or consideration
Recommendations: There are effective recommendations are made for the ASDA such as: -
- ASDA management have to follow the motivational theories in order to enhance their motivating factors for the purpose of motivating their employees.
- ASDA management to build adequate relationship with their employees by sharing their views and comments in adequate manner.
- They need to involve their employees in the decision making process in order to make them feel considered (Felsted, 2015).
- Management have to gather information related to the needs and wants of the employees so that they make effective arrangement for the purpose of fulfilling them in adequate manner and it should be well on time.
- Management focus over rendering equal opportunities to their employees in order to attain growth with them (Felsted, 2015).
- Management need to make fair decision making in order to promote or recognise their employees.
- Management have to render them adequate training and development session in order make them capable to deal with the adverse situation whether it is related to professional or personal (Felsted, 2015).
In order to make future research the future consideration is to make evaluation of the factors helps in reducing the employee turnover ratio. This consideration helps in getting the number of factors in order to make reduction in the employee turnover. When the ratio of employee turnover is low then ASDA or any organisation perform their activities in effective manner and attain their set targets in effective manner (Felsted, 2015).
4.1 Research Presentation
The whole research discussion is concluded that ASDA render adequate level of services to their employees in order to make them satisfied and motivated. Once the employee become motivated and satisfied, they effectively continue their job with the organisation and render best services to them. In order to make their employees satisfied and motivated management render them adequate pay-out or remuneration. They take care of their employee’s needs and wants and try their level best to fulfil it well on time. Low employee turnover ratio helps them in attaining huge market share and also enhances their profit earning capacity. Low employee turnover reflects that employees of ASDA are satisfied and loyal to the organisation and help them in effective performing. ASDA management render them adequate options and services to their employees in order to make them satisfied.
6, P. & Bellamy, C. 2012;2011;, Principles of methodology: research design in social science, SAGE, Los Angeles.
Bach, S. & Edwards, M.R. 2013;2012;, Managing human resources: human resource management in transition,5th;Fifth;5; edn, Wiley, Chichester.
Bounds, A. 2015, Co-op looks to tap retailing specialist who helped revive Asda, Financial Times Ltd.
Butler, S. 2014, Crackdown on costs helps Asdaoutperform rivals with 5% profit boost, Guardian Newspapers Ltd, London (UK).
Cox, E. & Books24x7, I. 2011;2012;, Retail Analytics : The Secret Weapon, 1st edn, Wiley, Hoboken.
Felsted, A. 2015, Asda shakes up strategy in effort to lift sales, Financial Times Ltd.
FitzRoy, P.T., Hulbert, J.M., Ghobadian, A., eBook Library (EBL) &Ebooks Corporation 2012;2011;, Strategic management: the challenge of creating value, 2nd edn, Routledge, New York;London;.
Habib, M., Pathik, B.B. & Maryam, H. 2014, Research methodology - contemporary practices: guidelines for academic researchers, 1st edn, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
Hobson, S. 2011, "Driving down costs: Asda's move to double-deck trailers is just one of the deliver/initiatives that helped it win the Motor Transport Own Account Operator award", Motor Transport, , pp. 14.
Hutchinson, K., Donnell, L.V., Gilmore, A. & Reid, A. 2015, "Loyalty card adoption in SME retailers: the impact upon marketing management", European Journal of Marketing,vol. 49, no. 3/4, pp. 467-490.
This Unit 11 Research Project Assignment ASDA focused on the Impact of Employee Turnover at ASDA company, We are posting Locus units solutions so scholars can explore the our Assignment Help in UK and get review the quality of our work.