Delivery in day(s): 5
Unit 3 Quality in health and social care Assignment
Diploma in Health and Social Care
Unit Number and Title
Unit 3 Quality in health and social care assignment
Quality management is important process in health care organization that helps to maintain the effectiveness in terms of products and offering of services to users. Quality management ensures safety and consideration of factors that are essential for dealing with the different situations. The Quality in health and social care assignment will explain the perspective that stakeholders connected with the health and social care organization and assess the impact of poor services quality of stakeholder. For that, report will refer the case of infection disease and local authority facilities in West London that offering the standard care services for large numbers of clients. In the next task, report will explain the standard that exist in health care for measuring the quality and evaluate the different approaches for implementing different quality systems. Moreover, report will evaluate the effectiveness of systems that used and followed at NHS and their role in achieving the quality services. At the end, it will suggest the ways to improve the quality of social care services and effectiveness.
1.1 Perspective that stakeholder connected with health care regarding quality
There are various stakeholder involve in the process of managing and defining the quality of health and social care services. According to given scenario, there has recently been the spread of infectious diseases, suspected to be linked to Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), within the facility where you work for the care of elderly residents. Large number of the clients, many of whom are susceptible to infection, share eating and living accommodation that has negative impact on the health of population in West London. Infections constitute a major cause of illness among care home residents which often result in an increase hospital admission rate. Following are key stakeholders that contribute in quality improvement and management:
- Services users- For health care organization, services users would be like residents of clients. The top management of health care services maintains the services according to needs of the particular target groups. In current scenario, consideration of quality standard is essential for organizations to meet the objectives of services users. The infection disease like MRSA is affecting the health of people most. Now, it is responsibility of health care organization to deal with the level of satisfaction by offering the quality services according to needs of the services users (Ender, 2010). Quality in services not just involves the offering of medicines and use of equipments but also consider the cleanness and privacy of information about the individual services users.
- Care workers- According to analysis, it is been identified that care workers of health and social care organizations are playing important role in developing and offering of quality services. For managing the resources and delivery of on time services to patients, care workers are key stakeholders. The role of staff members is to follow the guideline and needs of the clients to develop and offer services that would encouraging the brand value of organization and helps to meet the satisfaction level of patients (Glasby, 2012). These involve safety and equality for managing and offering the care services.
- Government- The organizations that are operating their business in health care sector require the support of government agencies and authority for managing the functional activities to maintain the effectiveness. As per the analysis, it is been considered that government has significant role in improvement and monitoring of services according to quality standard. The government of London is developing guideline for health care services quality as well use of resources to meet the objectives.
1.2 Role of external agencies in setting standard for quality in health care services
There are various agencies and authorities that analyzing the conditions and needs of patients in the changing environment. For organizations in health care sector, it is important to follow the standard and quality benchmarks to meet the satisfaction level of patients and maintain the sustainable growth in the business. In UK there are many agencies that evaluating and developing the standard for quality in services like offering the information, maintaining healthy environment, effectiveness of products that used for medical services. Business of NHS is one of the leading health care agencies in UK that defining the standard of quality health services (McKeeargue, 2010). The public and private both health care organizations are maintaining the quality in services according to proposed standard of NHS. In addition to this, institute of rural health care services is also having significant impact on the health care services.
These organizations are conducting the survey and collecting the feedback from local population about the health care services and analyzing the follow-up of standard in the health care organization (Naidoo and Wills, 2015). Apart from that these agencies have developed the documentation for planning the activities that also have positive impact on the setting the standard in health care services and craft improvement.
1.3 Impact of poor health care services quality on the stakeholder connected
The key stakeholders are majorly responsible for managing the health care services and quality that would be standard. According to given scenario, there has recently been the spread of infectious diseases, suspected to be linked to Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), within the facility where you work for the care of elderly residents. Large numbers of people are susceptible to infection by share eating and living accommodation that is clear case of poor health care services quality. The process and approach that health care organizations are following are having direct impact of stakeholder involvement (Payne, 2014). The major reason behind the lack of poor quality in health care services are lack of monitoring, offering the information to protect from the disease and disability and optimum utilization of resources for managing the standard. In addition to this, lack of skilled human resources for managing the quality is another issue for poor health care services that influencing the decision of local population to use the services of West London health care services. Stakeholders like government and employees needs to take the initiative for encouraging the quality and utilization of services in personal and professional health care services.
2.1 The standards that exist in health and social care for measuring quality, especially in residential care facilities
Each and every health and social care organizations includes separate standards which helps in measuring the quality in the residential care facilities. These standards being followed by the care homes ensure the effective application of the quality service practices such with the organization. The standards are normally the levels of excellences which help an organization to meet the desired quality levels (Lewis and West, 2014). According to the given scenario, it is required to set standards with the purpose to improve quality services in the health care in West London. Some of the most important standards such as ISO 9000/14000, code of practices, CQC, standards by NMC, etc. which indicates the assurances of the quality. It has been identified that these standards must be fulfilled by the health care which states different aspects to maintain the service qualities. The standards by NMC or Nursing and midwifery council largely focus on the nurses who are employed in the health care.
It is very much important that the nurses or midwifes follows the codes of conduct of the health care and must acquire the relevant skills and knowledge to fulfil the needs of a patient. The standards are been considered to be very crucial as they assists the services users with the rights to demand the quality services to be provided timely and effectively. It has even provided with the strong base to the health and social care and makes them establish assured quality services to the people specifically. In addition to this, the quality standards are been measured by evaluating and comparing the standards with the existing procedures of the health care so that to identify the loopholes if any (Goetsch and Davis, 2014). The standards include various rights and duties of the customers as well as the care workers which makes them work towards fulfilment of the same and abide by the aspects effectively.
2.2 Evaluate different approaches to implementing quality systems
With the purpose to bring enhancement in the quality standards, it is very much important to execute quality system in the health and social care. The quality system for the care home is been mainly included in the documents of the organization and is been conveyed to all the stakeholders so that to ensure positive results out of it. It is very much important that the management of the health care is entirely focused to the standards and sets norms for the workforce to meet all the requirements of the care home (Carayon.et.al, 2014). The quality system in the health care home in West London requires to be implemented with effective practices and concerns over the systems. It is very much important to ensure that the care workers must be able to meet all the norms and understand their roles and responsibilities so that to carry out their duties effectively. In order to implement quality standards in the care home, the management could make use of various approaches such as coordination and planning, effective communication, roles and responsibilities, monitoring and evaluation, etc.
These practices would help the authorities in ensuring an effective execution of the quality system in the care home and meet the desired levels of excellence over the services. In addition to this, the total quality management approach could also be used to establish quality system in the care home. The Total quality management practices would help in meeting the demands and expectation of the patients and enhance the standards of the care home. Another approach which could be used to implement the quality system is making effective policies and procedures at the workplace which must be followed by the management as well as the staff members (Croft and Parish, 2013). The application of quality standards being followed by the care homes would ensure the effective execution of the quality service practices such with the organization. Implementation could even be made effective by providing the employees with the enhanced training and development sessions so that to make them familiar with the procedures and ensure the fulfilment of the quality standards in the care services while providing the services users with the protection and care.
2.3 Analyze potential barriers to delivery of quality health and social care services
With the purpose to deliver the quality services in the health and social care home, it has been found that there are several potential barriers which restrict the organization to the great extents. In context to the current case, it has been observed that the health care such as NHS faces various barriers like lack of financial resources which is been identified as the major issue for any of the organization. The proper arrangements of equipments, funds, human resources, etc. are the major concerns for the care home and lacking the same would limit the management to the great extent (Van Boekel.et.al, 2013). Change resistance is also proved to be an obstacle in delivering the quality services as the staff members would resist to the changes being implemented within the organization.
It has been found that in many of the cases, the staff members do not accepts the changes effectively and thus avoids meeting the same. This could prove to be a barrier in delivering the desired quality services to the service users for the management of health and care home. Additionally, cultural diversity or language barriers could also impact the health and social care in delivering the desired levels of quality services to the service users. The legal and institutional barrier also acquires a potentiality of being in the health care. This barrier mainly includes the lack of legal powers for executing any of the specific instrument or responsibilities which limits the organizational capabilities to serve the patients.
3.1 Effectiveness of system, policies and procedure used in health care settings
There is various type of system, policies and procedure in health care organization NHS are followed to make the services up to the standard and maintain the effectiveness. According to national government of UK, it is basic right of individual in county to obtain the standard health care services in both public and private health care settings. The important policies of organizations are promote the quality of health care services in all geographical areas of country as well maintain the professional standard in the services. In addition to this, the organization is supporting the regulations that have been proposed by EMTALA, CMS and council of health and social care. Apart from that, system that NHS is following has positive impact on the health care system of nation as organization has proposed outline for managing the operational activities and maintain the practices according to needs of the patients in different sectors (Purnell, 2012).
According to analysis, it is been considered that system and policies that have been followed by the local and national health care organizations has positive impact on the health care settings for achieving the quality and meeting the satisfaction lave of the patients. Furthermore the organization is looking to improve the services by conducting survey and collecting the feedback from the patients and care worker that will play important role in the planning of new policies and make changes in the existing system to encourage the quality.
3.2 Factors that are influencing the achievement of quality
Following are the key factors that having significant influence on the achievement of quality in health care services.
- Availability of resources: This is one of the major factors that having significant impact on the process of achieving health care services. In the current scenario, the natural resources are limited and process of improvement in quality of products and services demanding more resources. For maintaining the high quality in services has direct impact of availability of resources (Shim, 2010).
- Size and services mix: In order to maintain the quality and effectiveness of services the size of organization and services mix planning has significant influence. According to analysis the organization like NHS and other private health care settings are providing the services in both rural and urban locations but lack of skilled health care staff is affecting the process of achieving the quality in health care.
- Economic factors: For health care organization, economic conduction plays critical role in planning of services and craft improvement in quality. The economic conditions are not so good for UK and NHS that has direct impact on the services provision and planning of the new services to meet the satisfaction level of service users. Forecasting and planning of services is essential to meet the quality objectives (Storey, 2016).
3.3 Ways to improve quality in health care
In order to craft improvement in the health care service and products, the organization could use follow recommendation:
- Analysis and evaluation of national development plan and policies for health care services to meet the objectives. For that collection of feedback and planning of the issue is important. Moreover, the public and private both health care organizations are maintaining the quality in services according to proposed standard of NHS.
- The national government needs to focus on consideration of private sector organization to improve the quality as these organizations are utilizing the resources more efficient manners. This kind of approach and system will help to meet the objectives of quality services ().
- For improvement in quality of health care services, online registration and follow up would be another good option that will be cost and time effective for both organization and services users. By considering the rating and cost of services the patient would able to make decision making and draft their feedback for effectiveness of services.
From the above study, it can be considered that health care services are fundamental rights of local population of any nation. The leading agencies are taking the initiatives for planning and monitoring the approach of health and social care organization to evaluate the quality and areas of lacking. Report has explained the importance of stakeholder in management of health care services and assessed the impact of poor services for health care organization that are under consideration. Moreover, report has explained the standard of health care services and discussed about the potential barriers in delivery of services. At the end, report has evaluated the effectiveness of system, policies and procedure to achieve the quality standard in health care services.
Book and journals
Carayon, P., Wetterneck, T.B., Rivera-Rodriguez, A.J., Hundt, A.S., Hoonakker, P., Holden, R. and Gurses, A.P., 2014. Human factors systems approach to healthcare quality and patient safety. Applied ergonomics, 45(1), pp.14-25.
Croft, B. and Parish, S.L., 2013. Care integration in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: Implications for behavioral health. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 40(4), pp.258-263.
Glasby, J., 2012. Understanding health and social care. Policy Press.
Lewis, J. and West, A., 2014. Re-shaping social care services for older people in England: policy development and the problem of achieving ‘good care’. Journal of social policy, 43(01), pp.1-18.
McKeeargue, M., 2010. Budget crises, health, and social welfare programmes. Bmj, 341, p.77.
Naidoo, J. and Wills, J. eds., 2015. Health studies: an introduction. Palgrave Macmillan.
Payne, M., 2014. Modern social work theory. Palgrave Macmillan.
Purnell, L.D., 2012. Transcultural health care: A culturally competent approach. FA Davis.
Shim, J.K., 2010. Cultural health capital a theoretical approach to understanding health care interactions and the dynamics of unequal treatment. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 51(1), pp.1-15.
Storey, J. ed., 2016. Leadership in Organizations: Current Issues and Key Trends. Routledge.
Van Boekel, L.C., Brouwers, E.P., Van Weeghel, J. and Garretsen, H.F., 2013. Stigma among health professionals towards patients with substance use disorders and its consequences for healthcare delivery: systematic review. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 131(1), pp.23-35.
Wagstaff, A. and Lindelow, M., 2014. Are health shocks different? Evidence from a multishock survey in Laos. Health economics, 23(6), pp.706-718.