Unit 21 Human Resource Management Sample Assignment
Human Resource Management (HRM) is defined as a function within an organization to enhance the performance of the employees. HRM mainly deals with the management of the employees to maximize the productivity of an organization. HRM basically helps in achieving the goals of an organization in an efficient way through effective usage of employee management. The basic functionality of HRM deals with the knowledge of managing relations within an organization. People, place and purpose are the basic components of an organization. Various policies are used in evaluating and retaining the skills of an employee. Importance of HRM in both academic and commercial sector came into existence in 1980’s.
1. Distinguish between Personnel Management and Human Resource Management
Staff must make a valued contribution to the work of the organization. Eventually they will leave, more often than not because they find alternative employment or retire. Occasionally, however, employment has to be terminated.
This unit considers how human resource management deals with these aspects of personnel management
- It is basically work oriented
- Personnel management is considered as atechnology used for human resource management in older days.
- It basically deals with the management of employees with an organization such as hiring employees
- It helps in explaining the expectations and actions of the management to the employees
- It performs the functions of an organization in a traditional way
- It keeps the record at an operational level
- It maintains the personnel records
Human Resource Management
- It is basically resource oriented
- It deals with the development of management and line management
- HRM performs functions as performed by the personnel management but in a distinct way
2.Access the functions of human resource management in contributing to organizational services
Various functions of Human Resource Management (HRM) are as follows:
- Selection and Recruitment of employees – the success of an organization is completely dependent on the workforce quality. So the HR department recruits the employees having good work experience to increase the productivity of an organization.
- Performance evaluation of the employees – the performance of an employee is analysed by the HR department on the regular basis. After analysing, the improvement in the performance can be done to increase the potential effort done by an employee. Action plan will be set up by HR department to analyse what an employee performs.
- Development and training of employees – Employees have to undergo regular training sessions in order to improve the efficiency level .On the job training is provided by the HR department to enhance the performance of an employee.
- Motivation and welfare of employees – Employee satisfaction should be the basic aim of a healthy organization. Various motivational activities performed by HR department are organizing get together parties of employees.
- Wage determination – Finance department takes the decision of wages and salaries of an employee. Wages are determined by the position of an employee within an organization
- Analysis and description of the job – Analysis of the job is done by determining the people, skills, structure, responsibilities and environment of the job. Job description implies relationship among the employees, skills and qualification of the candidates, responsibilities and duties of employees
Objectives of Human Resource Management
Various objectives of HRM are as follows
- Functional objectives – HRM mainly deals with the functionality of an organization
- Personal objectives – It helps in assisting employees in achieving their goals. Objectives of an employee will be met only if employees will get proper motivation time to time. Retaining of an employee’s objective are necessary to achieve the goals of an organization (Feringa, 2006). Employee turnover will go on rising if there is decline in an employee goals satisfaction.
- Organizational objectives – The effectiveness of an organization completely depends on the functionality of Human Resource Management (HRM). HRM basically deals to provide assistance to the entire department and hence serves the entire organization.
- Societal objectives – HRM is equally responsible for managing the needs of the social society.
3.Evaluate the role and responsibilities of line Managers in HRM
Line managers are the managers to whom employees or clients can directly contact. Implementation of HRM within an organization is done by the line managers (Benatallah, 2005). Various functions performed by the line managers are
- Employee management
- Regular standards for improvement like action plan, deadlines and targets
- Identification the underperformance reasons
- Proper supervision of employees
- Quality analysis
- technical expertise
- monitoring employee performance
- determining operational cost
- organization of the processes
4.Analyse the Impact of the legal and regulatory framework on HRM
Regulation of the design and implementation of the Human Resource department is done by the regulatory committee. Human resource management takes place against a background of organizational needs, policies and procedures that are themselves shaped by legal and regulatory requirements. The unit therefore gives consideration to the national and European legislation that has, for example, seen the introduction of a range of anti-discriminatory legislation, the significance of which can be seen regularly in high profile and often very expensive court cases. Organizations with effective human resource management policies, processes and practices will have committed skilled employees who contribute effectively to the organization. In competitive business contexts this is a significant contribution to maintaining a competitive advantage. During the selection and recruitment process of an employee within an organization, fair deal needs to be done by the HR department. Everyone should get the equal chance to compete for the job vacancies. Indirect discrimination is one of the legislation that is used during the recruitment process of various companies in the world. The employees must not be discriminated because of their marital status (Mathesius, 1998)