Delivery in day(s): 5
Unit 33 Objectives of Small Business Enterprise Assignment
The current situation in the world of business is quite complex. The functional environment of the evolving companies increases the complexities in order to achieve organizational objectives planned for the future perspective. To ensure the establishment of brand image and success of the company, the management has to join hands with the employees to put their efforts in right direction. The company appoints managers and team leaders who act as a mediator between employees and the business management . They serve the purpose of giving instructions to the employees passed by the higher authorities in order to attain the goals.
In this assignment, there will be a detailed discussion about the work that has to be done by the manager of the Travelodge Hotel keeping in mind the trends and patterns of the business market and hotel industry.
2.2Write an e-mail, a short note and a formal letter as mentioned in task 2.
E-mail to an ex-colleague
Subject: an invitation for lunch
How have you been? I am writing this e-mail regarding the important issues. Presently, I am working as a chief executive in residential care services. The organization deals with people who have learning disabilities. Since you belong to the same field, I want to sign you as a sounding board for my new venture. I was wondering if you could meet for lunch today so that I can provide you with more information about the subject. I would really appreciate if you consider my offer. I Hope to receive a positive response from your side.
Short memo to employees
To: all employees
Subject: urgent meeting with James Oswald
All the employees are requested to meet at the conference hall today at 3 pm. The meeting is regarding the new venture we are about to begin. We have an urgent meeting today with James Oswald the chief executive officer of Oswald Housing Association. The agenda of the meeting is concerned with developing a partnership with James Oswald to make individual homes for people rather than making larger residential units. You all are free to share your ideas and opinions regarding the subject.
A formal letter to James Oswald
Mr. James Oswald
Oswald Housing Association
22nd July, 2016
Subject: letter regarding confirmation of partnership
I am writing this letter to confirm about the meeting about the partnership between the two firms as discussed earlier. The agenda of the meeting will be converting the two of our large organization into individual units for the betterment of the people who have learning disabilities as will provide enough space and comfort to such people. This is only possible if we have your support. Please let me know about the confirmation of meeting regarding the subject. We hope to receive a positive response from your corner.
Third sector organization
2.3 Identify giving reasons for your choices, a range of time management strategies you can use to make sure that you get the conversion project completed for schedule.
As a chief executive of a new manager, it is important for me to complete the projects on time as the management expects much more from me.
To cope up with their expectations it is necessary for me manage time effectively. It can be achieved in following ways:
- Setting goals: the first task to manage time is setting up goals on daily basis. For this I need to evaluate my current position and analyze what targets are on priority list. Accordingly goals are set. The ones on the top of the list are achieved first with the help of my employees.
- Keep a work list: since it is a new set up of the organization, it is important to meet new clients for the promotion of the new venture. I have to meet to different people of residential care services that deal with people having learning disabilities. It is hard to remember all the clients so I maintain a list where I note down all the contacts details of the clients which saves my time rather than wasting it in searching them.
- Use a time-log: I break down task to the staff at the opening hours of the office rather than assigning them between the working hours which saves a lot of time. Distributing tasks at the middle of the day consumes time which leads to delay in following work. This is an effective time management strategies as it avoids mess and employees are aware about their projects.
- Balance in work: instead of working on larger portions I divide my task into small sections for the current day. I and my team focus on the work-in-hand. Once that task is completed we move to next course of action. This prevents chaos and confusion which saves the time of the organization. (Tolstoy, 2016)
Understand the dynamics of working with others.
3.1 Basing your answer on team roles exercises carried out in class, and the case study the new health promotion team, explain how you would use your knowledge of belbin’s team roles as a means of ensuring that the new team would be able to function effectively.
It will be best for team to make sure that they follow the belbins team roles so that they can ensure that they can work as good as the management expects them to.
The following are the roles that they will have to play:
- resource investigator is the one who will bring ideas and plans for the future and this one of the most crucial roles as the team will have to work around the ideas that they are going to get and this is the reason that the person has to be enthusiastic and outgoing so as to make sure that he can work on his role.
- The team worker is going to be the one who will ensure that the work that is required by the people will be done as per the role that has been assigned to them and to make sure that they are all on the same page.
- The role of the coordinator is ensure that the members of the team know the tasks that they have to do for the success of the goals and the coordinator is going to make sure that they are all going in the right direction and have coordination.
- The role of the plant is to provide strength to the team and make sure that if they are any issues regarding the work that they have to do and also if they are any issues within the team members they can be solved in the most unconventional manner so as to build up a strong team.
- The role of the monitor evaluator is to make sure that there is logic in the working of the team and gives a good judgment where it is needed and that too in a way that it is fair and just and unbiased.
- The specialist is the one who will ensure that the team has the expert knowledge that they need to carryout the operation management that they have to do and they will have a key area which can be explored while working in the team and this will benefit the future of the team as well.
- The role of the shaper is to make sure that they can go in the right direction and also that the members of the team stay motivated to do their best and make sure that the team loose the focus that they need to do their work.
- The role of the implementer is to make sure that the team has the strategy and the plans that they need to achieve the goals that they have been given by the management and also ensure that they can are carried effectively by all the members of the team.
- The role of the completer finisher is also important in the working of the team so that they can ensure that there are no issues in the final result that they will present to the management as errors and mistakes is not going to look good for the image of the team. (International Journal, 2015)
3.2.1 Use tuck man’s four stages of group development to analyze the development of the team described in the case study of the new health promotion team.
In the stage of forming it is clear that the team members of the new health promotion team get to know each other and they are all polite to one another but as the time progress the distance that they had with each other keeps on growing.
in the storming stage it is clear for the new health promotion team have many issues with one another where no member of the team wants to get along with each other and consider the ideas and the suggestions that are not their own and work together to present a united front.
The stage of norming is the one that ensures that the team members resolve the issues that they have with each other and as far the team of the new health promotion is concerned, it was only possible after the addition of harry to the team as he resolved all the issues.
Performing is the stage that ensures that the members of the team know what they have to do for the achievement of the goals that they have and for the new health promotion team it is clear that they were able to overcome their issues after a long time. (Morrison, 2007)
3.2.2 As a team leader, explain what you will do at each stage to help with the process of development.
As a team leader it is my duty to ensure that the team gets to know each other not only on the personal level but also on the professional manner so that they can build a relationship with one another which will be good for the future of the team.
In the stage of storming where there are issues amongst the members of the team, as a leader I have to ensure that there are means and methods that I can use to ensure that the issues are resolved without any resentment in the minds of the team mates.
In the stage of norming I can ensure that I am there for the assistance of the team members to make sure that they do not take the measures which will not be good for the future of the team and their own career as well so I have to be available for them.
In the stage of performing I have to ensure that I give them the resources that they need to do their operations and then also that the members of the team are motivated at all times to do the best that they can for success. (Jamieson, 2012)
3.3 suggest, with reasons and examples of appropriate activities, how you, as a team leader, might use hackman’s five factor model to improve the performance of your team.
In order to make sure that the team that has been made for the new health promotion team is doing all that has to be done for the success of the organization,
there are things that I have to do as a team leader which will be as follows:
- being a real team is the one thing that has to be done in the initial stage of the formation of the team and in this I can ensure that the members of the team get to know each other which is needed for the success of the work that they will do.
- Compelling direction is one of the most important things that I need to do as a leader of the team and this includes the activities like the allotment of the role that the employees will play in the achievement of the goals that they have to for the organization.
- Enabling structure is one of the things that have to be done for the success of the team and the structure is the thing that the members of the team will have to follow for all the operations that they are going to do as a part of the team.
- Supportive context is the thing that is needed by the team to complete the task that they have been allotted by the management and this is in the form of the resources and the means that they will be provided which will not only make their work easier but also smooth.
- Expert coaching is the thing that will be needed by the team members for the success of the operations that they do and this is needed in the times of emergencies in which they have to take the decision making which will decide the course of the project. (Pons, 2013)
Be able to develop strategies for problem solving.
4.1 now that you have had the chance to practice using them, evaluate the fish bone diagram and the 5 step process as practical tools/ methods of solving problems.
The diagram and the method that has been discussed in the last leg of the report is one of the many ways that can be adopted by the care homes to make sure that they can provide for the patients that they have and the impact of the way have to be monitored.
the use of the man in the process of care home is one of the most important thing that can be done by the care home and the reason for this is that the physical presence of the employees will be good for the patients and their care
the use of methods is one of the way in which the employees of the care home can have a plan to go about the treatment process that they have as the needs of the patients are very complex and the patient Lucy needs all the attention that can get.
since machines is the new thing in the market and it can be used by the care home to ensure that the treatment that they give to the patient is advanced and error free which will double the chances of treatment that they are being given in the care home.
It is again very important for the care home to have the materials in the care home so that they have the assistance that they need to carry the operations that they need to do for the patients and it will make the job of the care worker a lot easier.
The effect of the treatment also has to be monitored by the people of the care home so that they can study the progress that they have made with the operations that they do for the people living in the care home in need of assistance for care. (Edmunds, 2009)
2.1 / 4.2 working as a part of an allocated team and using two methods/ techniques for problem solving first define your problem and then develop an appropriate strategy for dealing with it.
In order to meet the needs of the patients it is necessary for the care homes to have plans that are going to assist the operations that they have to do and this is even more important for the patient Lucy because the needs and the behavior that she has is difficult.
The first tool that they are going to use is going to be that of the man which is basically the care home staff that are going to assist Lucy in meeting the needs that she has and also handling her in difficult situation which they may encounter during the care process.
Methods are the tools that the employees of the care home are going to be using for the treatment of the patient and it is necessary for the care home to find the right means that they can for the treatment which will be beneficial for the patient.
Machines are the part of the new world technology and as far as the working of the care homes is concerned it is best that the machines that they use are tested and certified so that the patients are not at risk and the result that they need are achievable.
material is another thing that is going to be used in the care homes and this is so that the treatment process that will adopted by the care home is going to be working for the patient which in this case is going to be that of Lucy and the special needs that she has.
In the end it is the effect that the care home has to monitor in the cases that they handle and this is the one thing that they can do to determine the amount of success that they have managed to earn by the work. (Ryan, 2008)
4.3 evaluate the impact of implementing your team’s recommended strategy for solving the problem described in the case study.
In the working of the care home it becomes highly important for the employees to make sure that they are in line with the requirements of the patients and this is so that they can make sure that the work that they have to do for the people living in the is done with success and the people will be benefited out of the operations that the care home do for them. But given the fact that the needs of the people is becoming very complicated it is necessary for the people of the care home to be on their best foot forward and for this they need to study the market and the latest means and methods that are available for the health and social care sector. This is the mean reason that they are homes need to have a plan that they can use for the assistance of the patients and this will be developed by the support of the employees and the management of the care home and as far as the case of Lucy is concerned it becomes even more important for the people of the care home to have a plan that they can follow for the patients and the one that has suggested by the care givers is a good call. Being with the patient at all times a good call for the care home to take so that the patient can be under supervision at all hours of the day as this is the way they can monitor the behavior and the symptoms of the patient so that accordingly the treatment can be provided and the patient can improve. Also using the machines and material for the process of treatment is also going to be a good way to ensure success.
Like it has been discussed in the entire assignment that the role that is played by the employees in the organization is one of the most complicated things to understand in the business market and the reason for this is that the operations that they do in the working of the organization is one of the most important element for the success that the management wants to achieve. Therefore it is the duty of the management to ensure that they support the employees in the entire possible manner that they can so that the job of the employees is a lot easier. (Springer, 2009)
Amanda, (2016), 6 ways to ways to drive employee performance and motivation, [Article],Available: http://youearnedit.com/blog/six-ways-to-drive-employee-performance-and-motivation/ [Accessed 21st July 2016]
DeZube, D., (2011), Small Business,[Online], Available: http://hiring.monster.com/hr/hr-best-practices/small-business/conducting-an-interview/administrative-assistant-interview.aspx [Accessed 22 July 2016]
Edmunds, A., (2009), Factors that Affect Decision Making,[Online], Available: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/factors-influencing-decision-making-business environment-65082.html [Accessed 21 July 2016]
International Journal, (2015), International Journal of Business Strategy and Management, [Online], Available: http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/ijbm [Accessed 22 July 2016]
Jamieson, L., (2012), Why Good Front of the House Helps Create a Successful Hotel, [Online], Available: http://www.hotel-industry.co.uk/2012/08/why-good-front-of-house-helps-create-a-successful-hotel/ [Accessed 21 July 2016]
Management study guide, (2016), objectives of performance management, [Article], Available: http://managementstudyguide.com/objectives-of-performance-management.htm [Accessed 21st July 2016]
Morrison, M., (2007), Pestle Analysis- HR Department, [Online], Available: https://rapidbi.com/pestle-analysis-hr-department/ [Accessed 22 July 2016]
Philips, C., (2016), What Are the Duties of a Manager in the Workplace, [Article],Available:http://smallbusiness.chron.com/duties-manager-workplace-24280.html[Accessed 20th July 2016]
Panay, M., (2016), 5 Psychological Theories of Motivation to Increase Productivity, [Article], Available: https://contactzilla.com/blog/5-psychological-theories-motivation-increase-productivity/ [Accessed 21st July 2016]
Pons, T., (2013), Tutorial Introduction to Revenue Management for Hotels, [Online],