Delivery in day(s): 5
5G Studio Platform Computer Games Design Assignment
Unit number and title
Unit 39: Computer Games Design and Development
Locus Assignment Help
Purpose of this assignment
To provide learners with an understanding of computer games development as an underpinning technological concept in the fields of computer gaming and systems development.
5G Studio hired you to develop a “Platformer”game. It is your decision whether build the game in 2D or 3D. The game must be compatible with Windows platform and operated using common computer Inputs. The project can be developed by using Unity 3D game engine or any other game engine that you are comfortable with.
Following are the things that you need to consider when designing and developing
A precise description about the game
Chose a title which relates to the description.
A simple menu which provides the basic functions such as Play Game, Exit Game, Reload Game, etc.
Any game Assets, Object and Component either provided by Unity Asset Store or any other asset provider. Alternatively you can develop your own using Maya, 3DStudio Max or Photoshop. Make sure the images used are copyright free.
Asset may include following
Scene/ Terrain:Game scene or Terrain developed or obtained free.
Player: Main Character (Hero) which is controlled by the user
Enemy/ies: A simple enemy which is driven by a simple enemy UI and can be destroyed by the main character
Collectable stuffs: Any kind of collectable object which has effect on the outcome. E.g. increase power, sizeor speed, add bonus pointsetc.
Critically analyse and compare
- Different types of computer games
- Variousplatforms to playcomputer games.
Select a popular computer or mobile game and,
- Briefly describe its story line
- Identify area of improvement in its game play
- Apply strategies to implement appropriate solutions [AC1.1]
Discuss different methods of user interaction with the games and recommend the most appropriate one for your selected game. [AC1.2]
Assess impact of computer-based gaming on lifestyles and society in general. [AC1.3]
Select an appropriate design tool and propose a computer game for the given scenario. Your game proposal should be full design of minimum one level of game. In particular it should illustrate:
- Game description & Title
- Assets Scene / Terrain
- Player (The Playable Character)
- Collectable stuffs
Provide list of all resources required to fully design and develop your proposed game. Resources may include game components, data and file structures. Following points must be considered :
- Specify software required to fully assemble the game
- Programming Language used to develop game
- Other software tools (Maya, 3DStudio Max or Photoshop) needed to fully design and develop the game assets (e.g., Game characters, environment, etc.). If you are using copyright-free assets clearly state from where you acquire them.
Learners are required to produce a detailed Gantt/PERT chart to manage and organize activities covering all stages of game design tool?
To implement a fully functional game fulfilling the design specification using Unity or any other game engine. The game must implement
- Suitable programming language to control movements, animations and game logic [AC3.1 & M2]
- Components including Terrain, player, enemy/ies, collectables, sound etc and critically evaluate components and present evaluation in the form of report [AC3.2]
- User interface i.e main menu with options like Play, Reload/RESET, Exit Game
Show evidence of having developed error handling functionalities e.g. Try-Catch implementation for exception handling, reports on bugs fixes and game crashes etc.
Carry out White Box Testing to test the functionality of your game prototype. Your testing results should include annotated Screen shots of the game while it's running. Present your game to class or lecturer; show its features, how to play, score and end game. Provide a review of White Box testing carried out and its conclusions. [AC4.1 ]
Analyse actual test results against expected results to identify overall outcome of the testing carried out. Present your findings in a tabular format. [AC4.2]
Provide independent feedback by carrying out “Usability Test”and critically evaluate feedback to make recommendations for improvements in your computer game. [AC4.3]
Create following documentation for the game:
- Type of computer game
- Game Platform & hardware requirements
- Game software, setup & support
- Game title & Description
- Demo: “How to play & win game” with screen shots
- Demo: “How to use menu options” with screen shots?
LO 1 Understand computer games development
LO 2 Be able to design computer games
LO 3 Be able to develop computer games
LO 4 Be able to test and document computer games.