This solution is related Regent College Professional and Personal Development assignment, it requires to find out the best practices for personal development.
To work in any organization we have to continuously develop our skills. The processes which are used to develop you’re your personal and professional skills to meet the challenges and to grab the opportunities in the market is called personal and professional development. Organization also helps its employees to develop themselves personally and professionally by providing some training. It also helps in satisfying the needs of both employees and the organization. It is required for the personal development needs of the individual and also to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization (Bennett, 2000). Development is important for all the employees irrespective of their job level. Even the honorary staff should work on developing themselves personally and professionally.
LO 1.1 Evaluate approaches to self-managed learning
Employees or an individual when manage their own learning and work on developing their skills is called self-managed learning. People take their own decisions about the courses or skills they want to learn, the way they want to choose to learn these skills, time and place of the learning (Hill, 1994). They know the reason behind their learning. They have their own short term and long term goals. To achieve these goals individuals have to plan their learning to be competitive in the market and for their career growth. There are various ways of self-learning and some of them are as follows:
- Doing a research on the topic anyone is interested. Let us suppose I am interested in consumer behaviour in various sectors and situation. I will prepare a questionnaire and will do a survey on the consumers of various sectors and I will learn to use statistical tools to analyse the data. Result which will come out of the research will give me a deep understanding of the consumer behaviour in various sectors.
- Individuals should attend some trainings, seminars or conferences. Even he can organize these seminars and call people from various fields to give their point of views. We can learn from experience of others. Speaking in front of lots of people also increases our confidence. It helps in improving our communication and presentation skills. TED talks are one of the examples of self-learning. By watching and by participating in these talks we will be able to learn something new.
- Through friends and colleagues also we can learn new things in life. Each individual is different and has different point of view about different things. Even the social networking site give us lots of knowledge. On these sites we can stay connected to lots of friends at a time. Internet is one of the best sources for self-learning (Knowles, 1975). We can get information about any topic on internet.
- On the job training is also one of the ways of self-learning. While working in an organization we can interact and working with people from various departments and learn new things from them.
LO 1.2 Propose ways in which lifelong learning in personal and professional contexts could be encouraged
Learning process should not be restricted to some shorter period of time but it has to be long term. Whatever we learn it should last till the end of our life and we should keep on learning till the end of our life. For our personal and professional skills development the voluntary and ongoing act of learning something new is called lifelong learning. Individual needs to be self-motivated to pursue lifelong learning. It is not just to get some job or to be competitive in the market but its motive is to be self-sustainable in the longer run (Siegel, 1975). There are following ways which help in encouraging the lifelong learning for personal and professional life.
- Self-Motivation- Individuals have to be self-motivated to keep themselves updated to the new things coming in the market. We have to have knowledge about all the fields like politics, society, other countries etc. Without self-motivation we won’t be able to develop ourselves personally as well as professionally.
- Hard work is one of the other ways to develop an individual. We need to set our short term and long term plans and work continuously hard to achieve our goals. It is not just the hard work we need to do smart work also to achieve success.
- Being confidant is the other way. Everyone has some weaknesses and everyone faces some failures but we need to learn from our failures and move further to achieve success. We have to be confidant in the way we learn or perform our tasks.
- We need to know our strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats. We have to use our strengths to grab the opportunities available to us.
LO 1.3 Evaluate the benefits of self-managed learning to the individual and organization
Self-managed learning surely has some positive impacts on the individual as well as on the organization he works for. Some of the positive impacts of self-managed learning are as follows:
- It makes individuals more confidant and independent personally as well as professionally. After acquiring so much of knowledge individual will be secure and he can get job in any organization. He will know his strengths and weaknesses and work and will work according to that.
- Self-managed learning also helps in improving our interpersonal skills (Cunningham, 1999). We will be able to communicate better and with confidence with different people. We will be able to make stronger and long term relationships with the people around us.
- Attending some seminars and conferences for personal and professional development will help us in improving our presentation and communication skills. In today’s professional life presentation and communication skills are very important.
- It will also help us in becoming better team player. Individual can acquire leadership qualities with the help of self-managed learning. Self-managed learning lots of commitment, dedication and hard work which are some of the qualities of a leader.
- Self-managed learning in schools and colleges is acquired while doing some projects individually or in a team. This makes us ready for professional life because in professional life also we might have to work independently or within a team.
LO 2.1 Evaluate own current skills and competencies against professional standards and organizational objectives
Organizational objectives and goals depend upon the skills and competencies of the employees. Organization tries to develop professional skills in its employees to make them efficient employees. I have acquired skills and competencies through my studies and also through my professional experience and some of those competencies are as follows:
- I have studied MBA and learnt various management tools and techniques. This course has helped me a lot in my professional life and will help in future also.
- I have very good analytical skills and I have always been good with numbers. This will help me a lot in decision making in my professional life. I will be able to evaluate all the options available in lesser time.
- From my school days I have been good in making relationships with my friends and this quality will be very helpful in my professional life as all the organizations need want to have stronger and long term relationships with the clients.
- I have leadership qualities like determined, focused, motivator etc. I am self-motivated person and I am able to motivate others towards the goals and objectives of the organization.
LO2.2 Identify own development needs and the activities required to meet them
No one is perfect in today’s competitive world and everyone needs continuous improvement to be competitive. I have mentioned various management and leadership qualities which I have and which will be very helpful in my professional life but there are some areas where I need to improve and develop myself. I need to develop Information technology related skills. I need to learn some software packages like CRM i.e. Customer relationship Management and SCM i.e. Supply Chain Management. These packages will help me in making stronger relationships with the clients and suppliers of the organization. These packages will also help in marketing and operation department of the organization. To achieve these skills I will try to attend some classroom or online courses. After learning I will implement this software in my organization to make the work more effective and efficient. I also need to work on time management and multi-tasking skills. At the higher level we have to do lots of things together and we need to be able to manage our time properly so that all the tasks can be finished in time. I also have to work on stress management to be calm in case of any crisis situation.
LO2.3 Identify development opportunities to meet current and future defined needs
As I am doing MBA so there is a huge opportunity in front of me to learn all the theoretical management concepts. Presentations in MBA will help me in developing, managing communication and presentation skills. It will make me more confident. I am specializing in Marketing and Finance field. There is great opportunity for both the fields in corporate world. In the organizations also while working I will be able to develop myself as a good team player and also as a leader. I will follow my leaders and learn leadership skills. After MBA I will work for some years and after that I can go for executive MBA which helps us a lot in developing our skills. At that time I will be able to relate my practical knowledge to all the management concepts.
LO2.4 Devise a personal and professional development plan based on identifies needs.
Developing yourself continuously is very important. Below are some of my plans to achieve all my short term and long term goals:
- I will join a course on Customer relationship Management to improve my technical skills.
- I will join a stress management course to be more relax and confident. I will also devote some time in meditation. This will help me in becoming a better leader (Greenberg, 2002).
- I will also attend some courses on time management. I my college I will take suggestions from my teacher and in my professional life I will have on the job training from my seniors.
- I will attend all the trainings and courses offered by the organization to develop our personal and professional skills.
- I will try to take extra responsibilities to grow in my career as soon as possible.