This ECB College Organisations and Behaviour Assignment is given in East end Computing & Business College from Organisations and Behaviour Unit of HND Diploma in Business. The assessment is divided into two tasks:
|Task 1||Assessment Criteria Covered||Assignment Title||Assessment Method|
|1.||LO 1.1,1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3||Management environment and Leadership||Report Format/Linked shor essays)|
|2.||LO 4.1, 4.2, 4.3||Group Dynamics||Powerpoint Presentation|
|Q1. Describe the basic forms of organisational structure and types of organisational cultures? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each structure and culture? Give ONE example for each structure and culture and explain why the companies prefer to adopt one over the other forms and types. (AC 1.1)|
- Comment on their organisation structure and culture and identify their relationship. Explain what effect their relationship has on their business performance. (AC 1.2)
- What are the individual behavioural factors which effect employees at work? Why as a manager you should understand individual behaviour? (AC 1.3)
- Compare the leadership styles of the two managers and how different/similar they are from each other. Is their style effective? (AC 2.1)
- d) Explain how organisational theory underpins the practice of management. (AC 2.2)
- Evaluate the two organisations on the basis of management Can you link management practice to any of these theories? (AC 2.3)
- Discuss the impact of different leadership styles may have on motivation in organisations during periods of change. (AC 3.1)
- Compare how the managers mentioned in the previous ‘question-c’ motivate employees? (AC 3.2)
- Evaluate the usefulness of motivational theory to each of the two managers you have compared in your answer to question-g above. (AC 3.3)
- Evidence of effective approach to study and research has been done. (Student has picked up two organizations and has synthesized complex information while attempting Q2)
- Critically evaluating the Management and Organization theories
- Analyzing Motivational theories in ‘Q2(g)’
- Critically analysing the motivational techniques adopted by managers in ‘Q2 (g)’
- Critically evaluating the team work in your chosen organisation.
- Critically evaluating the effect of technology on team functioning.
Organisational Structure and Behaviour
TASK ONE: Management environment and Leadership
Q1. Describe the basic forms of organisational structure and types of organisational cultures? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each structure and culture? Give ONE example for each structure and culture and explain why the companies prefer to adopt one over the other forms and types. (AC 1.1)
Organisations are the structures which are established to accomplish a goal or objective. It makes the maximum use of the employees and aimed at achieving the optimum utilisation of the resources, coordination among the people and functions and accomplishment of goals. There are many types of organisational structures which are discussed below:
Departmental:The departmental forms of structure of organisation are the basic form of organisational structure. Every department has its own role and functions. Every department has several employees who work for the roles and responsibilities of the organisation. For e.g. Production department, sales department, etc.
- Advantages: The main advantage is that different departments have the specialisation in their assigned work.
- Disadvantages: the organisation has to rely on the particular department for the work.
Functional: In this form of organisation the different roles and responsibilities of the employees are assigned to achieve the goals. It is mostly used by the organisations in which the top down approach and communication is followed. For e.g. Accounting department, marketing department, etc.
- Advantages: It gives high degree of specialisation and helps in the growth of organisation.
- Disadvantages: the hurdles can appear in between different functions.
Geography:In this type of organisation structure, the roles and responsibilities of the employees are according to their location. For e.g. A company XYZ Ltd. has its customer service office in USA, production facilities at China, accounts department at India and all are coordinating with each other.
- Advantages: The advantage is that the resources can be easily accessed.
- Disadvantages: It gives rise to the decentralisation of the decision making system.
The Culture of an organisation refers to the rules and beliefs of the company. The culture of an organisation is of following types:
- Power Culture:In power culture, there is a dominance of a single person, he has all the powers and all the decisions are taken by him in the whole organisation. For e.g. Apple Inc.
- Role culture:Role culture has the different roles defined to different persons in the organisation. For e.g. Marks & Spencer
- Task culture:In task culture, every employee has been assigned with different tasks and jobs. For e.g. Google.
- Person culture:Different employees have the responsibilities to serve the needs of an individual. For e.g. Doctors, entrepreneurs.
Every business has to think over which organisational structure will be best suited for the business. The organisational structure and culture are decided according to the company’s objectives, size and the industry in which it works. A proper organisation structure and culture can make the business double effective and the vice versa. Business structures and cultures can be chosen according to the nature and type of the business.
- Forbes. (2015). Types of organisational structures. Retrieved 12 10, 2015, from http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobmorgan/2015/07/06/the-5-types-of-organizational-structures-part-1-the-hierarchy/
- hbr.org. (2013). What is organisational structure. Retrieved 12 10, 2015, from https://hbr.org/2013/05/what-is-organizational-culture
- hofstede, G. (2015). The hofstede centre. Retrieved 12 10, 2015, from http://geert-hofstede.com/
- Startups. (2014). Choosing the Right Business Structure. Retrieved 11 05, 2015, from http://startups.co.uk/choosing-the-right-business-structure/
If you need help inECB College Organisations and Behaviour Assignment unit click on order now.